• Create Account

Photo
- - - - -

Dpms Preban Lower?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
8 replies to this topic

#1 DmULibRoles

DmULibRoles

"Arms in the hands of citizens may be used at individual discretion in private self defense." - John Adams

• Members
  • 225 posts

Posted 17 February 2004 - 10:38 PM

i got a buddy that wants to get rid of a preban stripped DPMS lower for 150$ is it worth it to get?? i was reading that they all were cast. or is it better to just get a postban bushmaster?? ill pay about he same? what is everybody's thoughts on this?

Thanks
Chris

#2 BrowningBDA Re: Dpms Preban Lower?

BrowningBDA

RKI#1

• Veteran Member
  • 14,457 posts

Posted 17 February 2004 - 11:37 PM

I dont know about it being cast......

Here's some pics to help you tell....

Here's a forged receiver...

Posted Image

Here's the same view... only for a cast receiver...

Posted Image

same thing... here's a forged receiver...

Posted Image

Same view... but for cast receiver... see the difference in the mag release "fence"?

Posted Image

Hope this helps you out.

as for whether its a good price... If it is truly PRE BAN... and not post ban... and it has not seen much use... and is in great shape... then thats not a bad price. But... Was DPMS even making civilian AR-15 rifles in 1993? I dont recall hearing of them until a few years ago... so I would make SURE he can prove its a pre ban.

Even if the DPMS receiver is marked "US property"... it doesn't make it a pre ban... as new receivers are coming out with those markings... post ban... from DPMS. They had an over run for a contract.... I bought one 6 months ago... brand new, thus marked.

Good luck.. hope this helps!

#3 Thed Re: Dpms Preban Lower?

Thed

RKI#2

• Members
  • 4,330 posts

Posted 18 February 2004 - 08:50 AM

DPMS was originally called "Essential Arms". Essential arms went under and DPMS bought them out. All of the EA receivers are preban, but the majority of the DPMS are not.

I have a DPMS phone number that I am not sure is still good: 1-800-578-3767

I would give them a call and find out if the receiver is truly preban.

-Thed

#4 m_zwerlein Re: Dpms Preban Lower?

m_zwerlein

Secretly Wishes to be Moderator

• Veteran Member
  • 1,869 posts

Posted 18 February 2004 - 11:33 AM

www.dpmsinc.com

here is a link to their website call them and have them check the serial numbers on it they can tell you the day it was made which will tell you the status of it being pre or post.if the serial number starts with ea(essential arms)your fine if it's a d.p.m.s. and the serial number is below 10300 your ok but i would still contact them and make sure.

#5 surbat6 Re: Dpms Preban Lower?

surbat6

RKI #8

• Members
  • 2,209 posts

Posted 18 February 2004 - 12:40 PM

Was this receiver assembled as a rifle prior to the AW ban? Even if a receiver was made before the ban, if it was not part of a complete pre-ban rifle it can NOT be assembled into a pre-ban configuration legally.

#6 DmULibRoles Re: Dpms Preban Lower?

DmULibRoles

"Arms in the hands of citizens may be used at individual discretion in private self defense." - John Adams

• Members
  • 225 posts

Posted 18 February 2004 - 07:15 PM

Was this receiver assembled as a rifle prior to the AW ban? Even if a receiver was made before the ban, if it was not part of a complete pre-ban rifle it can NOT be assembled into a pre-ban configuration legally.

i heard that same thing. thanks for answering my question before i asked B{
of course my next question to that would be how would they know that I'm not buying it as a complete lower?? and i just go off the guy selling it to me?? I'm not try to break any laws I'm just asking??

I'm just gonna get a post ban lower and go with that...this is too close for me to take a vac. in club fed..lol

plus i hope we will not have to worry about this after sept. anyway!!

thanks fellas for all your replies

Chris

Edited by DmULibRoles, 18 February 2004 - 07:18 PM.

#7 DmULibRoles Re: Dpms Preban Lower?

DmULibRoles

• Members
  • 225 posts

Posted 18 February 2004 - 07:17 PM

I'm calling the ATF in the morning, ill post what i was told tomorrow

#8 DmULibRoles Re: Dpms Preban Lower?

DmULibRoles

• Members
  • 225 posts

Posted 19 February 2004 - 10:49 AM

i just got off the phone with them. "a preban is a preban" it doesn't matter. BUT he also thinks that the ban will sunset. he said that it was more for states to mandate there own laws. so i hope that we will not have to worry about this.
thanks for all the help fellas

Chris

#9 canyonflyer Re: Dpms Preban Lower?

canyonflyer

Embedded Journalist

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 23 March 2004 - 04:21 AM

150 Bucks for a Preban receiver is a great price. Most stripped Preban lowers I have seen have gone for no less than 600 dollars.

If it is indeed a preban, and I have two DPMS Prebans...both low 2000 serial numbers, then I would go ahead and get it.

I really hope this Assault Weapons Ban ends this September, then we can do away with all this nonsense. And if you arent interested in purchacing that lower, let your friend know that I might want it.

I could always build me another M4 :)

Happy shooting

Jeff

Gift Ideas - Bulk Ammo Sale