Sign in to follow this  
Knight

The Mateba 6 Unica Autorevolver

Question

Hello everybody!

As you can probably tell from my post count, I am a new member. I've been looking around for a forum like this for quite some time, and I have to say this looks like the real deal.

Anywho, the main reason why i went searching for a forum like this was to gain information on a rather unique firearm, known as the Mateba 6 Unica, also known as the autorevolver.

Here are some helpful pictures!

a_Waffen-Mateba-6UnicaAuto.jpgAutorevolver3-a.jpgMateba_Model_6.jpg

The basic things I need to know are: Current market price (realistic, not necessarily the MSRP), general availability, and some opinions, hopefully from someone who owns/has fired one before, but other remarks on its design and use are also greatly appreciated.

Thanks for the help.

55 answers to this question

Well, as the saying goes, "If you want to get the job done right, do it yourself."

During one of my many web searches for information, I found a Mateba Autorevolver up for auction on gunsamerica.com. The seller didn't post much information, all he wrote was this:

American arms MATEBA 357 mag semi-auto revolver, 4 or 6in barrel, blue, new in box,call chris at 603-529-6007.

Turns out that American Western Arms is the company that imports the Mateba to the United States. I found their website, and dug up their price listngs:

matebapricelist.jpg

So now I have a general idea on the price. Still could use an opinion on how they handle, though.

I know this topic isn't getting much attention, but, if anything, I can turn it into a good reference source for other people who are interested in the Autorevolver.

I'm a huge fan of the mateba.... others just aren't as cool as us! D>

I too have read up on them... fire a few... and have on on order right now... just waiting to get it!

anything you want to know in particular?

Price? I ordered mine via an FFL holder... the price for a 6" .44 mag, hi polish blue was $549 plus fees, shipping & tax.... figure about $650 or so out the door.

I've seen some stores selling them for $800 to $1200.... but they are WAY over priced!! they're banking on an impulse buy based on uniqueness.

Thanks for the info Browning, but alas, I found this the other day:

matebaautorevolver_new.jpg

You see that small sentence above "AWA International, Inc."? "Cannot be Sold in California"? Three guesses as to where I live F_

I think this is because the barrel is threaded to accept the recoil compensator, but I am only making an educated guess from the pictures that I have. So, I am pretty much screwed.

This doesn't mean that I won't be getting one. Oh, goodness no. As soon as am able, I am outta this cursed state.

Then, the Mateba will be mine! F} 666> F}

California had this law... as well as Mass.... that any gun company that wanted to sell a gun in their state had to submit each model of pistol.... for "testing", and the gun company would have to pay for that testing.

So if mateba wanted to sell their guns in California... they'd have to spend about $250,000..... and send a pistol for each barrel length & finish they offer.... or just send 1 barrel length & 1 color.... and that would be the only one allowed in the state.

As if criminals give a sh*t!

this was supposedly a "safety issue".... but in reality it was a gun ban.... as they made so much red tape that alot of gun companies just threw up their hands & refused to ship guns to california anymore.

Their testing didn't make guns any safer... just more expensive. Thats why its hard for you guys to get new military surplus guns (Like Star & Walther P-1's)... because the importer isn't willing to pay the extortion money to be able to sell guns in california. Crazy stuff man.....

I see that you got it through an FFL Holder. do you know what company he ordered from? I would like to place an order myself. Was is American.... well the one that imports them? Because I also know an FFL holder and would like to get one at his cost not double(retail) please let me know. thanks

Hey JJ6..... You can find them at CDNN investments... thats the american distributor that still carries them.

Last time I looked (yesterday at work... I work in a gunshop part time in trade for guns!! :D ), the CDNN price for a .44 6" hi polish blued gun was $589.

If you tell your FFL "CDNN" he'll know who you are talking about!

Good luck to you! ok>

LOL Yeah i just saw the new CDNN. haha. I work in a pawnshop the same way. thanks a lot for the help. do you know if the compensator on the end of the barrel is removable? i just don't really like it. thanks again

Yep.... you can unscrew it if you like... no worries... you dont really need it anyway.

I have heard from one fellow who said he had problems with his mateba from CDNN...... but I haven't experienced that. Who knows.....

the unica 6 also comes with drilled & tapped holes for a scope mount. They are tough to find, but you can find them. ok>

Looks like a really cool gun, but is the appeal just based on uniqueness alone? I can't really think of a benefit of mixing a revolver and autoloader cause it just seems like you get less reliability with smaller capacity. Is there something I don't know? Maybe they are super accurate? Someone throw me a bone will ya?

No prob eldon.

If you like revolvers... and have fired a S&W model 29 (or other .44 mag) before.... then you are probably aware of how the muzzle will jump, and it will recoil. :D

Now... take the metaba....

It fires from the bottom cylinder chamber... not the top as in 99% of other revolvers. What does this mean? It means... the recoil impulse has a lower axis in relation to your hand / arm.... and this reduces felt recoil, as well as muzzle jump considerably.

Now... take into account that the revolver is semi automatic. When you fire... even more felt recoil is absorbed by the mechanical action....... AND... the cylinder rotates automatically & the action is recocked... ready to go.

So... you get the power of a big bore wheel gun.... with the speed, recoil & control of an autoloader.

Mine recoils about like a Desert Eagle in .357......... and I can fire off all six rounds in about 3 seconds.... and still get reasonably good hits.

Its unique... even a little weird, until you shoot one... then your eyes will glaze over, and you will be in love.

That does sound like a pretty cool little gun. Are they reliable guns? Also is your a .44 BDA?

as a former californian i know how dumb it is for alot of these guns not be allowed in the state. iwas recently told by an uncle that still lives there that most of these type of guns were used in crimes in the past or some foolish thing like that. i could not remeber the whole account but i could not blame him for being upset. i am just glad i live in upper mich even though there are some thing that are not allowed to be sold here i just roll my eyes and say what ever.

That does sound like a pretty cool little gun.  Are they reliable guns?  Also is your a .44 BDA?

Yup............. and Yup.

I have heard of one fellow who had problems with his. But, in retrospect, I'd wager you can find at least one guy who has had problems with just about every gun on the market today. :D

Actually, you can get em in CA, if the reason that they do not import into CA is the whole Safety testing BS. What you do is find a person in Nevada to buy it, then have him come down here with the gun and do a Private Party Transfer, and thus it is exempt from the drop testing BS.

But thats a "straw purchase".... and is more illegal (felony... state & federal) than bypassing the Cali state "drop test" law. ok>

I want to get my hands on a stainless or nickel one. i don't want a blued, i wish cdnn had SS, then I'd be all over it. That amarican Western Arms, they have nickel listed, but they only show retail price, we need to get one wholesale with FFL for shop.

Edited by jj63tango

I hear you JJ......

They only make nickle & blued.... no stainless. The blued ones are gorgeous though... hi polish... deep blue.. like the old Smiths & pythons...

What you need to do is call or e-mail American Western Arms... and ask how to order via a distributor, to you ffl. In other words.... if they are a distributor, then let them know you are a gunstore... and want to order for the store.... then you'll get the wholesale price.

Navy arms does the same thing on their website... they only show MSRP.... but the FFL guys dont pay that.... on the end user! ok>

I don't understand how its a strw purchase. You can legally own this gun in CA, I think, and you can legally own in Nevada. if both the people are over 21 then it should be completely legal. I though a straw purchase is when you buy something in a good state and then sell it illegally to someone in a bad state.

A straw purchase is ANY purchase where you have someone else go buy a gun for you.

If its legal in California... then you should be able to buy it there for yourself. If not.. then having someone else go buy it, with the sole intention of turning around & selling to you "privately" in california, would constitute a "straw purchase".

It doesn't matter if you can legally own guns.. or not.

Line "a" on ATF form 4473, the yellow form you fill out when you buy a gun says "Are you the actual buyer of this firearm". If the guy in Nevada says "yes"... knowing full well he's buying it just to turn around & sell it to you, because you can't buy one in Cali... then he commited a felony... a federal one. And so did you if you put him up to it. ok>

Silly? It can be... but its the law... :D

So therefore If you just find someone in Nevada who has one and persuade him to sell it, thats legal? What if I just moved to Nevada for a week or two, bought the gun and then moved back, that way all I have to do is register it with the DOJ and its legal.

So therefore If you just find someone in Nevada who has one and persuade him to sell it, thats legal? What if I just moved to Nevada for a week or two, bought the gun and then moved back, that way all I have to do is register it with the DOJ and its legal.

Yes.... If you happen to find a privater individual in Nevada who owns one.... and is selling it.... and it is legal for you to register it in California... I dont see how that would be illegal.

I didn't write the laws.... :D .... I'm just explaining them, ok>

Ok this is probably a stupid question, but what exactly constitutues a private party transfer? Would it be possible to buy one from gunbroker.com and have it sent to your FFL in California and be legal?

I dont know Shin... if the Mateba is not allowed "for sale" as new in California gunstores... then an FFL would not be allowed to transfer one to you.

It depends on your laws in Cali. I'd ask you local gunshop... they'd be able to clarify it better.

As for "private party" transfers.

This is a legal sale between to private citizens... selling a "used" gun. You'd also need to know your laws in California for this.

Most states will not allow a private party transfer... or a sale... or a handgun, to a person from out of state.

In Michigan... you, being from Cali, could buy a long gun legally.... but not a handgun. ok>

ah, ok. Thanks for the response Browning, i'll have a good chat with my gunsmith then, but im thinking its probably not going to be possible.