Sign in to follow this  
warfinge

Headspace issue

warfinge    8

My recent AR build has the bolt carrier group a little tight on the "go" gauge when I checked with my new Clymer gauges. I did remove the ejector and ejector spring before testing. It will go to battery fairly easily but it's a little hard to open it again. I can't quite do it with bare hands. I use a piece of wood and a mallet with a very light tap to open. Because this is my first AR, I don't have past experience to compare it with or even know how it resistant should be. It cycles ammo nicely by hand (I haven't fired it yet. Am I just being a wuss about it and because the ting won't close on the "no go" gauge, it's ready for a day at the range and the break in regime?

Parts list

Red X 16" stainless bull upper

Ares Armour Nickel Boron BCG

emclean    23

first off, did you assemble the upper and barrel?

if not go ahead and squeze off around. (of curse i have a tendency to shoot anything i have any question about with my off hand)

• Like 1

warfinge    8

Yeah, I watched that while I was testing. The thing that got me was he could just remove the slide by hand with the go gauge and I need just a tad more force.

warfinge    8

first off, did you assemble the upper and barrel?

if not go ahead and squeze off around. (of curse i have a tendency to shoot anything i have any question about with my off hand)

I bought the upper assembled from Brownells. Well today I shoot it I suppose. I am going to the 300 yard range to freeze my butt off.

warfinge    8

Well it shoots nice tight groups but it is short stroking. Going to troubleshoot the gas block index and the gas tube. May just need a lot of shooting.

Riot    14

Well it shoots nice tight groups but it is short stroking. Going to troubleshoot the gas block index and the gas tube. May just need a lot of shooting.

Tight tollerances within the locking chamber would be my first guess...

warfinge    8

I think so too. Shooting is pretty much the option or buy a reamer.  Maybe roll the dice and send either the upper or the BCG back for replacement.

warfinge    8

Well good news. It started cycling around the 60th shot today and was good for 150 more cycling great.  Once more EM is an oracle....

JSheaHawk    29

Well good news. It started cycling around the 60th shot today and was good for 150 more cycling great.  Once more EM is an oracle....

Awesome!  How'd you feel as you were about to squeeze off that first shot?

Jared