Sign in to follow this  
ChemSoldier

Review: SIRT Training Pistol

Review of the SIRT training pistol

With the poor range access of my current location and the arrival of Chembaby MK II I knew I needed to up my home training game. I have been hearing for a bit over a year about the Shot Indexing Resetting Trigger (SIRT) training pistol from Next Level Training (http://nextleveltraining.com/) . This is basically a dry fire trainer with a lot of bells and whistles added.

I most commonly shoot striker fired handguns, those who have done dry fire work with it know that after you break the trigger you need to manually work the slide to get it to reset and break again. This limits the types of dry fire work you can do. Additionally the lack of a visible indicator of where you are “hitting” makes it possible to reinforce bad habits. Finally, there are safety and security issues with standard dry practice. You need to get the gun out of its secure storage, clear it and ensure there is no way live ammunition gets in the gun while practicing. When you are done with your dry practice you need to make sure to restoke the weapon with live ammo and make sure it is ready for action.

None of these issues are a reason to not do dry practice. All can be overcome and are worth overcoming, but Next Level Training has a better way to do it. SIRT looks and is weighted to simulate a full size Glock automatic pistol (just different enough to not get sued by crotchety old Gaston). The slide does not move, you can remove its magazines, it has no manual safety. The real secret is the trigger. It has a mechanism inside that simulates a real firearm’s trigger to include take up distance, weight of trigger break, over travel distance and length of reset. It resets like a real round has been fired, instead of click- RACK-click-RACK it goes click-click-click as fast as your finger can move.

But wait there’s MORE! There are two lasers in the pistol a green one and a red one. The default setting is that the red one is a take up indicator and the green the trigger break indicator. When you take up the slack in the trigger the red laser activates. Its purpose is to let you know your finger is on the trigger. If you are making movement or coming out of extension and you see the laser…oopsy…time to work on that trigger discipline. The red laser is set two inches below point of impact so it is not visible when you are on the sights and you are not tempted to use it as a laser aiming device.

Now the green laser, that indicates the POI when the trigger breaks. You can adjust this for whatever gun you use. Just use an allen wrench to move the laser to that zero. The green laser is very bright and was visible on a white steel target at 10 AM on a sunny day from 15 yards. It is likely visible further away I have just never tried it.

The magazines are inert plastic with weights inside that weighs as much as a loaded Glock 17 magazine. You can open the magazine and remove weights to make it weigh whatever you want, to include and empty magazine. The mag release is EXACTLY like a standard Glock mag release and they sell one that is exactly like the factory extended mag release. I am told real Glock mag releases do not fit the SIRT though. This is great for practicing for pistol competition like USPSA since you often change partially filled magazines (round in the chamber reload). With no slide movement it is not useful for slide lock reloads. By the way, if you are interested you can put glock mags in a SIRT but they don’t drop. SIRT mags will go into glocks and drop free.

For safety, there is no way the SIRT can take real ammunition or fire a projectile. It is not a firearm and as long as prudence is used, can be used to practice where firearms are not allowed. So when travelling to Chicago you can dry fire in your hotel room. But for f*ck’s sake keep it cased and in the in-room safe so the maids don’t steal it or call the cops.

Points I want to home in on:

Convenience: I am a lazy SOB. I hate working the slide after every shot. I hate the hassle of opening the safe. With the SIRT I have my targets already taped to the wall, I have the SIRT in the holster in the basement. I run down there and can get 50 trigger pulls in a very short amount of time.

Cost: This thing is expensive. I got mine for $350. It isn’t cheap but to me it is like buying a reloading press. It wont save you money but you will shoot more for the same outlay of money. I get more trigger pulls in a week than I did before and I like that.

Expanded Range of Training: I can train things dry that I did not before. Shot placement is now easy. Safety (keeping finger off trigger unless ready to fire) procedures are easily trained by myself. Trigger reset training is easier. Unsighted techniques can now be trained cheaply. Some situations may require unsighted shooting. When utilizing unsighted fire you don’t have a sight picture to look at in the instance when the trigger breaks and you cannot begin to judge if you were on target. So to practice these techniques you have to use live ammo and that gets expensive. Now if you want to throw in some point shooting or hip shooting at the end of your session it only costs you time, not money.

I got more to say, but I am lazy and I have been sitting on this review for days:

prod13_firearm2.png

Wow...love the red/green laser principle. Like a LOT. I can see this as a trainer's aid for firearm discipline and proficiency in no time. Great concept.

$350? Not TOO bad...will have to show this to a firend of mine.

My ONLY gripe is that you can't rack the slide. It would be nice to be able to rack and lock back like the newer airsoft guns do.

I thought about getting those laser rounds that go in real guns, and work with a special target with a laser sensor. I'm not really into tactical shooting practice, but mainly about trigger control and not flinching and pulling shots. I have found dry fire to be the single best thing to improve my accuracy at the range. That and having my arm pretty much fully extented so that the slide is more in line with my forearm, otherwise my shots always seem to go low left.

The SIRT is definitely cool. Chem gave me a chance to play with it the last time I saw him. The trigger is similar to the Glock, but it doesn't have that loud, crisp click. Him having one makes me want to get one, but I can't justify $300. If it was in the $150-$200 range maybe. Racking the slide is pretty horrible though.

I guess it's only been out for eighteen months or so, so hopefully there will be a used market soon.

Jared

I guess it's only been out for eighteen months or so, so hopefully there will be a used market soon.

I aint selling.

The cost is enough that most are being sold to people who are fairly serious about training (or in my case, just like toys). It might be a while.

I will send an email to Next Level Training reference the trigger snap. The videos on their website sometimes have snapping triggers. I expected that as well.

I thought about getting those laser rounds that go in real guns, and work with a special target with a laser sensor.

I have something like that, it is a LaserLyte Pro. http://www.laserlyte.com/products/lts-pro it fits in teh barrel of anything with a 3" or longer BBL that is 9mm to 45.

the target isn't realy neded, the laser is visabul, and if you keep both eyes open, you will spot where you are hitting.

I like this idea a lot. They need a 1911 version though, I don't own any of those smelly Glocks. :dunce:

Main problem I am seeing is any time I buy anything over $200, if it's not a gun or a motorcycle part, I wonder why what I'm buying isn't a gun or motorcycle part. If that makes sense. But it would help to step my dry-firing game up...

OK, cheaper SIRT info for all you guys who said you would look into it when it got down to $200 or so...

SIRT PRO was the original rather expensive training pistol (Red/Green lasers and a metal slide) with an MSRP of $439- I bought this pistol for about $100 less than MSRP from another online vendor

SIRT Student is a metal slide with red/red laser combo it has an MSRP of $319

SIRT Performer is a polymer slide red/red laser combo that weighs 4 oz. less than the original but has an MSRP of only $219

https://nextleveltra...istol-red-slide

With the normal markdown of online vendors, look around in the next few months and you should find the performer for less than 200 bones.