• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 ToddSKS

ToddSKS

Delta Force

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 08 July 2011 - 09:05 PM

Has anyone tried reloading SKS Brass with .311" bullets rather than the regular .308" Bullets? Suspose to be a better fit and be more accurate. I was thinking about picking up a set of dies and some brass cases to give them a try rather than shooting the military fmj's all the time.

#2 res45 Re: sks .311" brass reloads

res45

Royal Marine

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 09 July 2011 - 09:59 PM

Actually the correct dia. bullet for the 7.62 x 39 in the SKS and AK is .310 not .308 but some individuals claim to get good results shooting the .308 dia. bullets in there SKS I have not found that to be the case with my reloads and accuracy test,the Russian steel case ammo shoot much better than using .308 dia. bullets for reloading in my rifles. The majority of bullets I've measure used in Surplus and Russian steel case ammo were .310 to .310.5 dia.

The groove to groove dia. in my 1970 Yugoslavian and 1965 Chinese SKS slugged out to .312" so a .311 dia. bullet will work fine. I found in my test that .310 dia. bullets shot the most accurately regardless of bullet mfg. used. I also did some extensive testing with .311 dia. bullet from several Mfg. in 150 gr. weights,although they did not shoot as accurately as the .310 dia. bullets,accuracy was way better than any of the Russian offerings. Groups generally ran in the 1" or less range at 50 yds.

I generally just use the .311 150 gr. loads for close range bush busters in my SKS rifles.

#3 ToddSKS Re: sks .311" brass reloads

ToddSKS

Delta Force

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 10 July 2011 - 10:06 PM

I think I will try a 123 grain Hornady .310" Diameter and see how they fly. I think there is just to much clearnce with the military .308" Diamater FMJ's I'm using now.
Thanks for the info

#4 res45 Re: sks .311" brass reloads

res45

Royal Marine

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 11 July 2011 - 01:49 PM

The Hornady .310 123 gr. SP's have shot the most accurate for me in all my SKS rifles,the Hornady .310 V-MAX also shoots well.

What powders are you planning on using,I like AA-1680 but it not available locally anymore so my main go to powders is Reloader #7 it works well with all weights of jacketed bullets as well as cast bullets in the SKS.

IMR or H-4198 is also very good all three powders mentioned give the best velocity vs. charge weight so you get more bang for your buck.

#5 ToddSKS Re: sks .311" brass reloads

ToddSKS

Delta Force

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 14 July 2011 - 08:31 PM

I'll look back in my load book to see if any of the powders I already have will work, if not I'll pick up one of the ones you mentioned and give it a try.
I use IMR-4064, Varget, and Benchmark right now in my other rifles except for my shot guns.
I use Red dot, green dot, and blue dot in those.

Do you have a scope on your sks? how are your groups at 100 yards with the reloads?

The Hornady .310 123 gr. SP's have shot the most accurate for me in all my SKS rifles,the Hornady .310 V-MAX also shoots well.

What powders are you planning on using,I like AA-1680 but it not available locally anymore so my main go to powders is Reloader #7 it works well with all weights of jacketed bullets as well as cast bullets in the SKS.

IMR or H-4198 is also very good all three powders mentioned give the best velocity vs. charge weight so you get more bang for your buck.

#6 res45 Re: sks .311" brass reloads

res45

Royal Marine

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 14 July 2011 - 10:10 PM

I have a scope on my Yugo SKS. I used a Choate drill and tap mount on it and a old Tasco 2.5X compact scope.I can shoot on average a little under 2" groups at 100 yds. with my reloads and that combo,at 50 yds. you can pretty much put them all in one ragged hole.

My Chinese SKS is a good shooter as well it will do about the same as the Yugo at 50 yds. I haven't had a chance to take it to a range and where I live now I can only shoot out to 50 yds. but I figure it will do about the same. I generally use it for a plinking rifle and when I do hunt with it I use a Red Dot sight to hunt from a tree stand where the light makes it hard to see the irons very well.

Most day I just mostly plink with my SKS rifle using my cast bullet loads form bullets I cast myself,I use between 12.5 grs. and 14.0 grs. of Alliant 2400 powder MV runs between 1400 fps. and 1900 fps. depending on powder charge. The light load cycles my Chinese SKS just fine and drops the brass right at my feet,the 14.0 gr. load throws the brass about as far as steel case Russian ammo. At 50 yds. I get anywhere from one ragged hole to a little under 1" five shot groups using my cast bullet loads.

#7 ToddSKS Re: sks .311" brass reloads

ToddSKS

Delta Force

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 15 July 2011 - 10:20 PM

That is very interesting!
I am really going to have to pick up some dies and try some of those loads.
Mine is a Russian model and is in mint condition. I was looking for one of those Choate drill and tap rigid mounts but I couldn't get one shipped into Canada so I ended up getting a tactical cover mount. I'm going to drill and tap it to make it more rigid.
I am shooting about 2.5 inch groups right now at 100 yards with military fmj’s but I really think I could do better with reloads, and I’ve only fired it twice (2secions}with the new scope set up.

I have a scope on my Yugo SKS. I used a Choate drill and tap mount on it and a old Tasco 2.5X compact scope.I can shoot on average a little under 2" groups at 100 yds. with my reloads and that combo,at 50 yds. you can pretty much put them all in one ragged hole.

My Chinese SKS is a good shooter as well it will do about the same as the Yugo at 50 yds. I haven't had a chance to take it to a range and where I live now I can only shoot out to 50 yds. but I figure it will do about the same. I generally use it for a plinking rifle and when I do hunt with it I use a Red Dot sight to hunt from a tree stand where the light makes it hard to see the irons very well.

Most day I just mostly plink with my SKS rifle using my cast bullet loads form bullets I cast myself,I use between 12.5 grs. and 14.0 grs. of Alliant 2400 powder MV runs between 1400 fps. and 1900 fps. depending on powder charge. The light load cycles my Chinese SKS just fine and drops the brass right at my feet,the 14.0 gr. load throws the brass about as far as steel case Russian ammo. At 50 yds. I get anywhere from one ragged hole to a little under 1" five shot groups using my cast bullet loads.

#8 res45 Re: sks .311" brass reloads

res45

Royal Marine

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 16 July 2011 - 05:13 AM

Back many years ago like 30 before I got involved with SKS rifles you could buy a nice Russian SKS for $79 US those days are long gone,we don't even get them imported into the states anymore. I see you guys up in Canada still do and get them for a nice prices as well.

My friend Andy that lives just down the road from me has 3 of them and there all nice rifles and shoot very well. On the receiver cover there not really the best option when it comes to mounting a scope on the SKS rifle,you need to file to fit the little ears so it fits nice and snug when installed. If it's loose on the rifle it want hold zero.

You can try contacting SKS Man he has the Choate and I'm pretty sure he ships to Canada.

#9 ToddSKS Re: sks .311" brass reloads

ToddSKS

Delta Force

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 16 July 2011 - 10:04 PM

The local gun store up here got a shipment of SKS riffles and they were blowing them out for $185 bucks. It was not as good as your $79 dollar deal, but I couldn’t pass it up.
Ya I really didn’t want to go with the cover mount because of the recoil movement, but this one has four threaded tabs that hang down on either side of the receiver with set screws and locknuts. I’m going to drill and tap the receiver and drill out the threaded holes in the cover tabs, then screw the tabs tightly into the receiver. It should make it much more ridged then it is now. It’s a high mount so I can see through it and use my iron sites. I had to put a deflector on it to protect my scope. When I bought the mount the guy told me it would require a little filing on those forks. That was the under statement of the year!! I spent hours filing and grinding not only those forks but the entire inside!!
After I would fire off a round the bolt would come back and stick in the cover. It took me awhile but I have it working perfectly now.
So when I order up a set of dies for this do I have to specify that I will be using .310” diameter bullets in the 7.62mmX39 cases or does it matter?
Does the SKS Man sell these dies?

#10 res45 Re: sks .311" brass reloads

res45

Royal Marine

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 17 July 2011 - 07:12 AM

SKS Man just sell parts and accessories for mostly Mil Surplus rifles he doesn't do any reloading supplies. For dies I use the Lee Pacesetter 3-Die Set the third die is the factory crimp die and it works well for crimping bullets with no cannelure just don't get carried away or you will deform the bullet.

The Lee dies come with to expander rods one for .308 dia. bullets and the other for .310 dia. bullets,as I mentioned I never got any good results using the .3o8 dia. bullets in my SKS rifles but your results may vary I just stick with the .310's

RCBS also make a nice set of die that have the same two size expander balls so if you can't find the Lee dies the RCBS dies will work just fine my brother uses those.

http://www.midwayusa...ctNumber=740806

#11 ToddSKS Re: sks .311" brass reloads

ToddSKS

Delta Force

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 05:47 PM

Wow...great price I usually pay around 50 bucks for my RCBS dies.
I tried ordering from Midway before but they won't ship to Canada.
I'll find some though, thx again

SKS Man just sell parts and accessories for mostly Mil Surplus rifles he doesn't do any reloading supplies. For dies I use the Lee Pacesetter 3-Die Set the third die is the factory crimp die and it works well for crimping bullets with no cannelure just don't get carried away or you will deform the bullet.

The Lee dies come with to expander rods one for .308 dia. bullets and the other for .310 dia. bullets,as I mentioned I never got any good results using the .3o8 dia. bullets in my SKS rifles but your results may vary I just stick with the .310's

RCBS also make a nice set of die that have the same two size expander balls so if you can't find the Lee dies the RCBS dies will work just fine my brother uses those.

http://www.midwayusa...ctNumber=740806

#12 res45 Re: sks .311" brass reloads

res45

Royal Marine

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 10:29 PM

Check the Canadian Gun Nutz site they have quiet a few Reloading and shooting supplier listed on there site.

#13 ToddSKS Re: sks .311" brass reloads

ToddSKS

Delta Force

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 19 July 2011 - 08:29 PM

I'll do that. THX

Check the Canadian Gun Nutz site they have quiet a few Reloading and shooting supplier listed on there site.

#14 supraz Re: sks .311" brass reloads

supraz

Just Busted My Cherry

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 26 October 2011 - 01:07 AM

I'm new to this forum. So happy to find so much useful information about SKS. I own a Yugo.
Question about the reloading: what primer can be used where to get them?