Sign in to follow this  
ChemSoldier

Safariland Holsters

Have a new holster (a couple of months) with the Sheriff's Dept. Since I was issued a light for my weapon I got this holster, a level III rig. http://www.safariland.com/DutyGear/product.aspx?pid=6365

Interesting, it has the normal flip forward hood and hood guard that we all expect from Safariland, but it also has an Auto Locking System that secures the weapon in the holster the second it reeenters the holster. So even if the hood is flipped forward the weapon will not come out unless you hit a switch with your thumb on the inside of the holster. Very secure and seems a little easier to get out of the holster smoothly than some of the security holsters that I have had where you had to rock the gun this way and that. The only minus I have seen is that the holsters where you needed to rock the gun were pretty instinctive. Even if you had a brain spasm and forgot what to do you twisted the gun around till it came out of the holster. Your draw looks like ass, but the gun is in hand. With this one, if you dont practice alot it is easy to start pulling up on the gun before you depress the switch and you are left tugging on the weapon till you get it right.

Matter of fact you can watch it happen to someone on the MAGPUL Dynamics art of the tactical handgun you can see one of the LEOs from the LE Scenario having this issue while trying to retreat to cover while facing the opposite direction and pull his weapon at the same time (in the following link at 0:12)

All in all I am pretty satisfied with the system. Anyone else use it?

I hate, hate, hate, hated that holster. They call it Level III, but it really isn't. They try to make the hood two steps of the LIII since you have to push it down and rock it forward. It is one motion. Also, a lot of the guys in my class had an issue with the Level II (this holster minus the extra button) we were issued because it stuck and you had to draw into your armpit or it would bind. Also, a lot of us (guys around my size) had an issue with sitting down and having our vests push down and rock the hood forward. Everyone would have to check their holsters after sitting.

Of course, YMMV. :laughing1:

Jared