Frog Lube review

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 JSheaHawk

JSheaHawk

Board Lifer

• 12,455 posts

Posted 25 February 2011 - 07:22 PM

Just got my Frog Lube from BrowningBDA. Thanks, man!

I got a tub of it and a bottle of the liquid (more like a gel...the consistency of liquid soap). The paste is just that: it's kind of like shoe polish.

First impression? MINT! It smells like a Certs. Seriously! I've never smelled a CLP that smelled (what's conventionally thought of as) pleasant. I have a feeling that I'm going to get asked if I'm chewing on a mint while I'm in public...or maybe if I'm having muscle soreness and have Bengay on!

So I headed downstairs and decided to use it to clean my HK P7 PSP. I broke the P7 down and squirted some liquid Frog down the bore and used a bore snake to clean it. I rubbed cotton cloth (like a 6"x6" cotton patch..lint free...good stuff) into the top of the Frog paste and cleaned all the other parts I could reach. Then I used an Otis Brush like a toothbrush to apply it to the parts I couldn't reach with the cotton cloth. I cleaned off the brush and let the paste sit. I used the brush to scrub the paste off of the outsides and insides of the gun. I used another cloth to remove all of the ucky Frog. I reapplied some and spot-checked for more carbon build-up. Clean. I reassembled and used a new cloth to polish some frog into the outside of the gun.

In the summer, I have had a little bit of surface rust under the grips and along the left side of the forward frame. We'll see as I reapply and it warms up outside how the protective properties of the Frog Lube works.

Thanks again, BDA. You truly are a BAMF!

Jared

Attached Thumbnails

• 2011-02-25 17.59.23.jpg
  • 2011-02-25 17.58.43.jpg

#2 Admin Re: Frog Lube review

Admin

The Decider

• Admin
  • 14,358 posts

Posted 25 February 2011 - 07:57 PM

Thanks for sharing! :bumpity:

#3 Knight Re: Frog Lube review

Knight

Love Boat Reject

• Veteran Member
  • 3,604 posts

Posted 25 February 2011 - 11:31 PM

Is the Frog Lube edible?

#4 JSheaHawk Re: Frog Lube review

JSheaHawk

Board Lifer

• 12,455 posts

Posted 26 February 2011 - 06:40 AM

Is the Frog Lube edible?

Their site says, "ALL NATURAL, NON-TOXIC, ENVIRONMENTALLY GREEN," so I don't know if it's nutritious, but I don't think it will kill you.

Jared

#5 BrowningBDA Re: Frog Lube review

BrowningBDA

RKI#1

• Veteran Member
  • 14,457 posts

Posted 26 February 2011 - 03:25 PM

Yup... its edible. I watched a dude at SHOT show eat it. Its too expensive for chip dip though... maybe an ice cream topping?

#6 kahr9mm Re: Frog Lube review

kahr9mm

"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson

• Members
  • 238 posts

Posted 27 February 2011 - 12:17 PM

there should be some for sale in the classifieds... hint hint.

#7 emclean Re: Frog Lube review

emclean

A True Legend on the Gun Forums

• Members
  • 11,438 posts

Posted 28 February 2011 - 07:00 PM

or at least a link to WG in your sig line.

got mine today, let the wife sniff it, then sniff some #9. i found it funner than she did....

#8 JSheaHawk Re: Frog Lube review

JSheaHawk

Board Lifer

• 12,455 posts

Posted 28 February 2011 - 10:55 PM

:laughing1: Even though Hoppes and CLP smell good to us, they don't (objectively) smell good.

Use any yet, Em?

Jared

#9 BrowningBDA Re: Frog Lube review

BrowningBDA

RKI#1

• Veteran Member
  • 14,457 posts

Posted 01 March 2011 - 09:11 AM

I hear you guys, but outta respect for admin and all his work here, I dont want to "use" his forum to pimp out stuff. The frog lube was cool stuff that I knew about after shot... and I did a write up on for Guns, and so I wanted to pass this little gem onto you guys.

#10 Admin Re: Frog Lube review

Admin

The Decider

• Admin
  • 14,358 posts

Posted 01 March 2011 - 09:29 AM

I don't mind you posting a link BDA.

#11 emclean Re: Frog Lube review

emclean

• Members
  • 11,438 posts

Posted 01 March 2011 - 05:39 PM

Use any yet, Em?

I have it, but haven't had a chance to use it yet. the crap of the wife working midnights is really starting to suck with everything teens are doing these days.

#12 JSheaHawk Re: Frog Lube review

JSheaHawk

Board Lifer

• 12,455 posts

Posted 02 March 2011 - 01:50 AM

Ok, Mr. Mom! :laughing1:

Jared

#13 emclean Re: Frog Lube review

emclean

• Members
  • 11,438 posts

Posted 02 March 2011 - 05:34 PM

:finger: go f@&k your self. with something sharp, pointy, and with lots of hard corners. :finger:

[I'm really not loving her working midnights, if you couldn't guess]

#14 BrowningBDA Re: Frog Lube review

BrowningBDA

RKI#1

• Veteran Member
  • 14,457 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 07:27 AM

Thank you admin... I'll post a link below!

http://wickedgrips.com/frog-lube-clp/

Where does your wife work bud? Trust.. I know your pain... for a few years, I worked the night shift while the wife worked days, and I had to try & sleep and take care of the babies. It was a rough time...

#15 emclean Re: Frog Lube review

emclean

• Members
  • 11,438 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 06:24 PM

my wife is a RN at a local nursing home. between her weekend shifts, and my on call rotation, we get two weekends out of six where we are both off (and for her a weekend is Friday night and Saturday, i cant remember the last Sunday night she wasn't on)

#16 CulminatingJoe Re: Frog Lube review

CulminatingJoe

RKI#7

• Senior Moderator
  • 5,259 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 08:06 PM

M8, no doubt about it - shift work sucks arses.

#17 JSheaHawk Re: Frog Lube review

JSheaHawk

Board Lifer

• 12,455 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 11:20 PM

I still enjoy midnights, but I was on inservice for a week and worked day shift. I have to admit that it was kind of nice, but I'll take midnights with weekends off over days with crap days off.

Jared

#18 hampy_251 Re: Frog Lube review

hampy_251

Board Bar Fly

• Veteran Member
  • 1,089 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 01:47 AM

Just bought some Frog Lube after remembering this recommendation. Havent used it extensively but it didnt have any trouble removing the corrosion buildup around the grip screws(or actually the grip screw, uh, nuts - under the grips.)
The downside was that it was $48 for 16oz. Thats 8oz paste and 8oz liquid just like the one Jared's got above. Plus a micro fiber rag.
The guy at the store said that if I baked the firearm... in the oven... and then applied the Frog paste, that it would seep into the metal pores and greatly reduce future fouling build-up. Any thoughts??

Also, any recommendations on cleaning the congealed goo from the underside of the grips and on the frame under the grips? I scraped a lot of it with a razor but there's still a thin coat that I cant seem to get with a toothbrush and elbow grease.

#19 JSheaHawk Re: Frog Lube review

JSheaHawk

Board Lifer

• 12,455 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 07:57 AM

Just bought some Frog Lube after remembering this recommendation. Havent used it extensively but it didnt have any trouble removing the corrosion buildup around the grip screws(or actually the grip screw, uh, nuts - under the grips.)
The downside was that it was $48 for 16oz. Thats 8oz paste and 8oz liquid just like the one Jared's got above. Plus a micro fiber rag.
The guy at the store said that if I baked the firearm... in the oven... and then applied the Frog paste, that it would seep into the metal pores and greatly reduce future fouling build-up. Any thoughts??

Also, any recommendations on cleaning the congealed goo from the underside of the grips and on the frame under the grips? I scraped a lot of it with a razor but there's still a thin coat that I cant seem to get with a toothbrush and elbow grease.

Maybe on low. I just brush on the paste then heat it with a hair drier (thanks, dear). It melts and -- I guess -- seeps into the metal. It has prevented some rust where it liked to show up on the P7, so I guess it works.

CLP won't break the goo?

Jared