Sign in to follow this  
Admin

New Mountain Combat Boots

An associate of mine was just recently sporting some pretty cool boots he said were issued to him for deployment to Afghanistan. I had never heard of the brand before and thought they might have been Merrills. However, I was wrong, these Mountain Combat Boots are made by LOWA.

He said they held up pretty well until some of the stitching started to come apart. He said they exchanged them for a new pair for free.

Expensive $300+ boots.

Here is a picture.

Lowa%20Mountain%20boot%20GTXlarge.gif

Lowa Mountain Boot GTX

Anyone ever own a pair of these?

PS The US Army had a contract for Mountain Boots for Afghanistan.

danner_combat_hiker.jpg

Danner Talus GTX Brown Boot - price $175

WASHINGTON (Army News Service, March 1, 2010) -- Soldiers deploying to Afghanistan will be issued the new "MultiCam" fire-resistant Army Combat Uniform complete with new Mountain Combat Boots and MultiCam-patterned Modular Lightweight Load-carrying Equipment, or MOLLE, gear beginning in July.

I've never even heard of those. I wonder if they're comfy. I've always been happy with Magnum boots. Been wearing this pair 40hrs a week for the last three years.

Jared

An associate of mine was just recently sporting some pretty cool boots he said were issued to him for deployment to Afghanistan. I had never heard of the brand before and thought they might have been Merrills. However, I was wrong, these Mountain Combat Boots are made by LOWA.

He said they held up pretty well until some of the stitching started to come apart. He said they exchanged them for a new pair for free.

Expensive $300+ boots.

Here is a picture.

Lowa%20Mountain%20boot%20GTXlarge.gif

Lowa Mountain Boot GTX

Anyone ever own a pair of these?

I have a pair of Bates that look like these. My feet love 'em.

I have heard annecdotally that the Danners have durability issues not seen with the Bellvilles.

My BN recently bought some of the OTB (Over The Beach) brand Desert Lite boots. That was a collaborative venture between OTB and New Balance. They are VERY lightweight, both boots weigh less than a single Bellville boot. There is almost no leather in them, so their breakin time is very short. They are made for footmarching though, climbing, kicking, crawling and stuff like that tears them up FAST. I recommend them if you going to do Bataan or a lot of walking, but be prepared to replace them.

In the realm of unltra-light and ultra-comfy boots I dont think any of them have the endurance of regular boots. I will consider Bellvilles to be the baseline of good "regular" boots.

The anecdotal nature of the Danner criticisms makes me cautious about calling them poor boots. Deployment just plain beats the crap out of boots. There are some crap boots out there (McCrae comes to mind) but "good" boots doesnt neccesarily meen "indestructable."

This is the Belleville Mountain Combat Boot and I think they won the US Army contract according to reports.

Belleville-Mountain-Combat-Boot-430x344.jpg

*EDIT* Bellevilles are not industructable but I have had some survive a deployment though they are pretty nasty looking. They are about the toughest of the lot.

I'm using a pair of belleville 650 that I've had since around 1 1/2 years or so?

Granted they're nasty looking and will need to be re-soled soon but they've been great for farm work and the rainy season here...and for the jungle trip in ecuador. Which reminds me that I've forgotten to do a write-up for that trip.

My boots as issued to me by the ADF survived 3 years in the lines here in Australia, 4 weeks in Afghan and only now are starting to show a bit of age. Still entirely serviceable though.

Made by a company called 'Terra' I believe. Certainly I smile when I hear Diggers whine about the boot now. The boots issued to me in 1993 (the Mark 1 General Purpose or 'GP' boot) were horrendous. You had to walk for WEEKS to get the bastards to break in....with associated blisters and such. They lasted forever sure, but because they were all leather they got so blisteringly hot in summer. As you can imagine, in Australia that's an undesirable characteristic.

Diggers like to whinge, if they don't have at least a little something to gripe about...it's bad news, the mutiny is about to begin. :D: So I always take talk like that with a grain of salt and remind myself how good most boots are now and how sh*t they were only 17 years ago.

Edit: Here they are. http://www.wellingtonsurplus.com.au/showProduct/FOOTWEAR/REDBACK+FOOTWEAR/RB99999/REDBACK+TERRA+COMBAT+BOOTS+-+SECONDS+

Seem comfortable or are comfortable? I know several people that use Danners, at least our version of the boot holds up well.

I'm using a new pair of boots right now, but the old pair still looks pretty much new. I have a black mark on the left toe from shifting, but being steel-toe the front never gets dinged in and wrinkled, so they keep the "new boot" profile forever. They do get shaved off occasionally, which just reminds you why you have steel-toes.

Chem: I agree that as a boot gets lighter, it gets less durable. I had a pair of super light Magnum boots (they even had the little air chamber) that were really comfortable (it was like wearing socks...), but they were done within six months.

Jared

Seem comfortable or are comfortable? I know several people that use Danners, at least our version of the boot holds up well.

I'm using a new pair of boots right now, but the old pair still looks pretty much new. I have a black mark on the left toe from shifting, but being steel-toe the front never gets dinged in and wrinkled, so they keep the "new boot" profile forever. They do get shaved off occasionally, which just reminds you why you have steel-toes.

I have only worn the danners once or twice. Also I did not wear them hiking etc. I usually wear my old basic issue boots. Because my older boots are really worn in.

I won't spend over $150 for boots...I've got Adidas TSC Hiking Boots on my feet right now.

702379911_125.jpg

Love em....paid $65 for them too. My next pair will probably be their GSG-9 boots...everyone at work swears by them.

adidas-gsg9-classic-tactica.jpg