Sign in to follow this  
adamo

Romanian 7.62

adamo    0

For the better part of 30 yrs, I have been a black powder shooter. I am by no means an expert on carbine type rifles. Last weekend, my father-in-law gave me the gift of a Romanian made 7.62 I have done a bit of research since obtaining the rifle, and found out some info on it. I know what the CAI St. ALB. VT means, but what I am trying to determine is the rifles age. The only thing that I can find, without dismembering the rifle, that resembles a date is the EF 1811-1958. I was wondering if the 1958 was the year of manufacture, since I'm pretty sure that it wasn't made in 1811. :D:

It is a mdl 56 according to the stamped info on the barrel, and all of the numbers on the rifle match except for the trigger assembly. It is stamped with FE 2128. All others are EF 1811. I am not sure if this is a good thing or a bad thing. I have read that the Romanian rifles are not as common as other models. Is this going to be an issue when trying to find parts if needed later down the road? Thanks in advance for any info/assistance.

By the way, I already know that you don't pour the powder down the barrel first on this one. :sarcasm:

Admin    40

Welcome.

title.gif

Does it look like this?

It looks like you got a Romanian AK47 imported by Century Arms Inc of St. Albans Vermont. The Type 56 Cugir Romanian is SKS rifle not a AK-47. It looks like it was indeed manufactured in 1958.

It is a keeper as Romanian SKS rifles are a lot less common variants of the SKS family. Value? $300 to $350 depending on condition.

BrowningBDA    11

Welcome to the forum...

Admin nailed it (of course)... looks like you have a great rifle there. did you have questions about it? function, ammo & such?

adamo    0

It doesn't exactly look like that one. This one has an aftermarket plastic stock. YUK! I would love to have gotten the original wooden stock with it, but I guess I can't complain since it was free. It also has a high capacity magazine on it. I believe it is called a double stack??? or something like that. Are these rifles known for their accuracy? I was playing around with it yesterday and from a bench rest, I had 6 rnds that you could cover with a half-dollar at 50 yards. Being a mostly black powder shooter, I was very impressed, although when shooting black powder, I am shooting standing with no rests. It's kinda like comparing apples to oranges. Thank you for the reply and the information.

Admin    40

Thank you for the reply and the information.

It is a 100 yard gun. Theoretically, it is designed for 300 yards but your mileage may vary.

BrowningBDA    11

Thats good accuracy... most SKS type rifles usually will shoot 10 rounds into about 3-5".. more or less dpending on the rifle & shooter.