Egypt

4324letwz.jpg

#2 Rando Re: AK47 Rifle Comparison Photo

Rando

Sight Radius

• Members
  • 227 posts

Posted 28 September 2010 - 09:40 PM

Wow, I like the platform system going on there. Especially Israel. Nice picture.

#3 warlock Re: AK47 Rifle Comparison Photo

warlock

Never Had A Date -- With a Girl

• Veteran Member
  • 6,505 posts

Posted 29 September 2010 - 05:40 AM

Someone spent a lot of time on that.

#4 Rando Re: AK47 Rifle Comparison Photo

Rando

Sight Radius

• Members
  • 227 posts

Posted 29 September 2010 - 06:26 AM

Indeed, it takes me a long time to do a single gun on the older Pimp My Gun. This was done on the new one, which is a huge maze of parts. They had a loooot of time on their hands. Turned out amazing though.

#5 machineguneddie Re: AK47 Rifle Comparison Photo

machineguneddie

Really Annoying Guy

• Members
  • 2,742 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 11:02 PM

you'll have to add Venezuela to the list pretty soon

#6 TRX Re: AK47 Rifle Comparison Photo

TRX

Just Busted My Cherry

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 25 November 2010 - 06:54 AM

Russia
Home of the AK. There's your basic AK-47 and AKM, the SVD in 7.62x54R, various suppressed variants, a few bullpups, a couple of variants designed to shoot underwater (yes!), one with a helical "hair spray can" magazine, etc. The Russian military is mostly buying AK-100+ variants now; the 100+ variations mostly center on cost savings, like punching dimples to hold parts to the barrel instead of using pins. After the fall of the USSR, the state factories were privatized, and Izhmash and Molot built many variants in many calibers, everything from full-stocked .30-06 hunting rifles to 12-gauge Kalashnikov shotguns.

Pakistan
I found several articles about Pakistani-made AKs, but very little detailed information. From what I gather, they're AK-100+ variants.

Romania
Most inexpensive kits on the current market are Romanian "G" civil guard AKMs. They were unique among military AKs in that they were semi only, no full auto. The "stretched" PSL in 7.62x54R and the Draco pistol also come from Romania.

North Korea

Iraq

Iran
The only Iranian-made AK I know of is the al-Kadesih, a PSL/Dragunov variant in 7.62x54R. Almost no parts interchange with any other 54R variant.

China
China built a very wide range of AK variants, ranging from bog-standard AKMs to ones with SVD-style op rods, all the way to rifles that looked pretty much like an AK, but had SKS-style innards. They also imported (mostly AKM, though some variants) them to the US before Chinese rifle imports were banned during the Clinton Administration.

Hungary
The AMD-65's single-wire sidefolder, expanded metal lower handguard, and "bookend" pistol grips make it look different, but it's a pretty standard AKM otherwise.

Yugoslavia
Most Yugos are substantially different from the standard AKM pattern. Though they look similar, many parts don't directly interchange. Standard Yugos have a beefier front trunnion, thicker receiver, and a gas shutoff built into the gas block, all to handle rifle-launched grenades. The Yugoslavian Army *really* liked rifle grenades...

Israel
"Galil" Valmet variant, mostly in .223, with some in .308. Also a "Micro Galil", and the unusual plastic-bodied Magal pistol in .30 Carbine.

Burma

Albania
Parts kits very rare in the US.

Bulgaria

East Germany
Mostly standard AKM. East German .22LR training rifles and parts show up in the US market occasionally.

USA
Various US companies have manufactured milled receivers, which were then built into rifles, or sold to companies who did. These were mostly standard AKM pattern. FFL'd stamped receivers also count as "US made rifles" to the ATF. I haven't encountered any US-made front trunnions.

South Africa
Valmet variant. Denel made a bizarre plastic-cased bullpup prototype called the CR-21; you occasionally see those as movie props. They also made a couple of different pump action variants to comply with local laws. These were much different from the PAR pumps; they used a different bolt carrier and low-profile top cover, and the receivers were machined differently.

India
The INSAS is the newest AK variand I'm aware of. It diverges substantially from the original AK design, with many aspects (such as the trigger group) apparently borrowed from the FN-C. The INSAS is easily identified by the forward cocking handle by the gas tube. None have made it out of India that I'm aware of.

Poland
Various AKM variants, including the short-barreled Tantal, with left-side safety.

Finland
The Finnish Valmet was a major variant of the original Kalashikov design. The main difference between a Valmet and an AKM is the "slant cut" front on the receiver. The other is the lack of a rear sight block; the sight is on the the back of the top cover, and the gas tube was extended and dovetailed into the front of the receiver. Finland later sold their design to Israel, who sold it to South Africa and Venzuela. Valmet also made a bullpup AK and various wrist-stock "hunter" models for the civilian market.

Egypt:
The Maadi AKM. They're pretty straight AKMs, since the USSR set up the factory and trained the workers. Maadis were imported commercially some years ago, and now mostly show up as parts kits.

Various sources list AKs being made in Ethiopia, Macedonia, Nigeria, Sudan, and Vietnam, but there's almost no real information out there about them.

Also, Israel recently sold their Galil factory equipment to Venezuela. Previously one of the Russian Federation's biggest customers, the Venezuelans will be building their own rifles soon.

#7 Admin Re: AK47 Rifle Comparison Photo

Admin

The Decider

• Admin
  • 14,358 posts

Posted 19 December 2010 - 08:16 PM

Wow, I must of missed this thread, thanks for the post TRX.

#8 JSheaHawk Re: AK47 Rifle Comparison Photo

JSheaHawk

Board Lifer

• 12,455 posts

Posted 20 December 2010 - 12:10 AM

Has the AN-94 been widely adopted?

Jared

#9 Fullmedaljacket8 Re: AK47 Rifle Comparison Photo

Fullmedaljacket8

Force and mind are opposites; morality ends where a gun begins

• Veteran Member
  • 3,163 posts

Posted 20 December 2010 - 08:19 AM

Has the AN-94 been widely adopted?

Jared

I would love to adopt one.

#10 Rando Re: AK47 Rifle Comparison Photo

Rando

Sight Radius

• Members
  • 227 posts

Posted 20 December 2010 - 01:31 PM

Didn't the AN series run into funding problems?

#11 Admin Re: AK47 Rifle Comparison Photo

Admin

The Decider

• Admin
  • 14,358 posts

Posted 20 December 2010 - 07:30 PM

Didn't the AN series run into funding problems?

Yep, that's the story I heard as well. The Russians can not afford to equip their military with it and it's only confined to special units. They are sticking with 5.45 AK-74 as their main battle rifle for now.

#12 caehrnst Re: AK47 Rifle Comparison Photo

caehrnst

BlackHawk

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 19 May 2012 - 01:51 AM

I wish AK prices were still low