• Create Account

Photo
- - - - -

Sig p226 slide not locking back after last shot

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
21 replies to this topic

#1 Lowe308

Lowe308

Shotgun Sam

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 10 April 2010 - 09:32 PM

Hi every one. I have a Sig P226 SCT. I have shot maybe 800 rounds threw it. once in a while the slide will not lock back after the last shot. Anyone have this problem before? And how can I fix it. Thanks Lowe308

#2 Cyclops01 Re: Sig p226 slide not locking back after last shot

Cyclops01

I prefer synthetic stocks

• Members
  • 787 posts

Posted 11 April 2010 - 12:10 AM

Lowe308,

There are several possible answers to the problem. The things that I would consider are;

(1) A cleaning or lube issue, (it's cheapest and easiest so I always go here first)

(2) Reloads with minimal charge weights or low quality commercial ammo, not pushing the slide back hard or far enough every time for lock up,

(3) A magazine follower that is damaged or loose (side to side) in the mag body, causing an intermittent missed contact with the slide lock,

(4) A worn mag spring causing an intermittent weak attempt at a lock up,

(5) A damaged, worn or out of spec slide lock causing an intermittent missed contact with the mag follower.

If you are using more than one magazine, does it happen with only one or with all? Go shooting and if / when it happens again, pull that mag out of the rotation and continue shooting. If it happens again, start looking for the cause to be in the gun.

Are your mags all OEM or mixed with a generic brand?

Have you replaced any of the gun parts with aftermarket "enhanced" parts?

Chances are that your problem is one of these. Let us know how the investigation goes.

Good luck,

Mike

#3 macshooter Re: Sig p226 slide not locking back after last shot

macshooter

RKI#10

• Veteran Member
  • 4,778 posts

Posted 11 April 2010 - 12:22 AM

Not sure if this would even be an issue with a Sig, as I don't own one, but I had that issue with a Beretta 96 a while back, turned out my grip positioned my thumb so that it was pressing the slide release lever during recoil. Changed my grip and the problem went away. Like I said I don't know if that would even be possible on Sig.

#4 Lowe308 Re: Sig p226 slide not locking back after last shot

Lowe308

Shotgun Sam

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 11 April 2010 - 02:35 AM

Thanks for the fast replies. Let me start out by saying that I bought the sig p226 used.I bought it because it showed very little wear if any. all the paint was on the hammer and slide.I don't think they shot more than 50 rounds threw it. I clean my sig with clp, q tips, pipe cleaners and alot of pathes. Could it be the ammo I am using?I been using Winchesters 100 rounds in the white box and Remington r9mm1. The sig sct comes with four magazines.I took a good look at the magazines and they seem to be in good shape, not bent and they all have a very good spring tension. I should have marked the magazine imidatley after the problem but I didn't; thinking that I did not seat the magazine."Operator error". I am not sure if it's one magazine or several. I have not replaced any parts on the sig.It is all stock from what I see. I know for a fact out of 800 rounds it did not lock back 4 times. I am 99 % sure it is not my grip position. The second time it happened I made 100% sure where my thumbs and fingers were at all times. like I said I bought it used. My Sig P226 is still my favorite pistol. Before I send it in for service and have to pay for shipping and whatever eles.I would like to narrow down the cause. Your replies will come in very handy Mac shooter and cyclops. Thanks again Lowe308

#5 Lowe308 Re: Sig p226 slide not locking back after last shot

Lowe308

Shotgun Sam

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 11 April 2010 - 02:42 AM

What ammo do you recommend for plinking ?

#6 Tube Re: Sig p226 slide not locking back after last shot

Tube

Silly Sniper

• Veteran Member
  • 5,214 posts

Posted 11 April 2010 - 05:54 PM

For plinking with my 226 I just winchester white box, since it's the cheapest I can find, and it's always been reliable. I bought my 226 used, put LOTS of rounds through it, and do a pitiful job keeping it clean. All that being said it's never once jammed or failed to hold open on the last round.

My guess would be that it's a magazine issue, and that would be the easiest/cheapest thing to rule out. Take all your mags, mark them, then just load one round into each magazine to see if you can reproduce the failure.

#7 Lowe308 Re: Sig p226 slide not locking back after last shot

Lowe308

Shotgun Sam

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 11 April 2010 - 07:35 PM

Thanks for the reply. I'll try it. I'll marked the mags and try to reproduce a failure. I am leaning towards a bad magazine. I am going to also take the mags apart and clean them later in the week. Next saturday will be the earliest I can go back to the indoor range. I may send the sig in to the company to have it serviced. They have a deal for $129.95 they will clean teardown the pistol to the frame and replace springs recoil,slide catch lever trigger bar and decocking lever,. and even replace the night sights. It is called the "sig service plan".

#8 JSheaHawk Re: Sig p226 slide not locking back after last shot

JSheaHawk

Board Lifer

• 12,455 posts

Posted 12 April 2010 - 06:44 PM

I'd definitely try a different magazine.

That "deal" doesn't sound like much of a deal. Taking your pistol down isn't a daunting task, and you could definitely do it yourself with a few punches and some patience. And the parts cost a 1/10th of that.

Jared

#9 45operator Re: Sig p226 slide not locking back after last shot

45operator

Never Had A Date -- With a Girl

• Veteran Member
  • 6,702 posts

Posted 13 April 2010 - 10:19 PM

it's a mag issue. the lip on follower doesn't always make good contact with the slide lock. had it happen on some of the issued guns here.

count yourself lucky. on a glock you would have had a shot-up leg. :couchsmiley:

#10 Lowe308 Re: Sig p226 slide not locking back after last shot

Lowe308

Shotgun Sam

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 14 April 2010 - 03:31 PM

I broke the mags down they look good. I marked the mags so I find out this saturday at the range. I think you all are right. Just have to find out which mag is bad so i can replace it. Thanks all

#11 45operator Re: Sig p226 slide not locking back after last shot

45operator

• Veteran Member
  • 6,702 posts

Posted 16 April 2010 - 04:52 AM

I broke the mags down they look good. I marked the mags so I find out this saturday at the range. I think you all are right. Just have to find out which mag is bad so i can replace it. Thanks all

field strip the gun and insert an empty mag into the frame

it should look look this

i know it's a dirty gun so sue me

same frame without a mag

hope this helps - 45op

#12 SBHShooter Re: Sig p226 slide not locking back after last shot

SBHShooter

WE ALL LIKE

• Veteran Member
  • 4,662 posts

Posted 16 April 2010 - 01:28 PM

it should look look this

same frame without a mag

hope this helps - 45op

Both of those views need to be from the side, really, to make any real comparisons visually.

When checking over your gun, make sure to look at the bottom of the slide lock that contacts the mag for any signs of wear, pitting, or breakage. Check to make sure it isn't bent and contacting the frame or grip panels, and make sure the screw or whatever holds it in place doesn't have burrs around the head that are rubbing on it.

#13 Lowe308 Re: Sig p226 slide not locking back after last shot

Lowe308

Shotgun Sam

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 16 April 2010 - 03:36 PM

Thanks for the great pics. I'll post some of my pics if I have antoher problem.I am gong to the range tomorrow. guns clean and magazine are clean. Thanks for all your time in helping me.

#14 JSheaHawk Re: Sig p226 slide not locking back after last shot

JSheaHawk

Board Lifer

• 12,455 posts

Posted 17 April 2010 - 02:31 AM

it should look look this

same frame without a mag

hope this helps - 45op

*Slingblade voice* Mmmmm...you got some purty hands. ... ... ... ... french fried taters. */Slingblade voice*

Jared

#15 emclean Re: Sig p226 slide not locking back after last shot

emclean

A True Legend on the Gun Forums

• Veteran Member
  • 11,438 posts

Posted 17 April 2010 - 04:03 PM

Jared, are you OK man, your staring to worry me there.

#16 JSheaHawk Re: Sig p226 slide not locking back after last shot

JSheaHawk

Board Lifer

• 12,455 posts

Posted 18 April 2010 - 03:46 AM

Too much 30 Rock.

Jared

#17 45operator Re: Sig p226 slide not locking back after last shot

45operator

• Veteran Member
  • 6,702 posts

Posted 20 April 2010 - 05:47 AM

heh heh.

hope this is a better view. sorry. i may shoot well enough to be combat-effective but i suck as a photographer

#18 Lowe308 Re: Sig p226 slide not locking back after last shot

Lowe308

Shotgun Sam

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 23 April 2010 - 10:49 PM

Well I went to the range Today with the Sig 226.I shot 300 rounds of winchester in the white box. With no problems. I am not sending the gun back to the company to replace parts because,I'm thinkin that it was a magazine issue. Thank you all for helping me out. I really appreciate it.

Lowe308
Semper FI

#19 JSheaHawk Re: Sig p226 slide not locking back after last shot

JSheaHawk

Board Lifer

• 12,455 posts

Posted 28 April 2010 - 10:06 AM

It's always those damned magazines! Glad she's running well.

Jared

#20 SBHShooter Re: Sig p226 slide not locking back after last shot

SBHShooter

WE ALL LIKE

• Veteran Member
  • 4,662 posts

Posted 30 April 2010 - 12:14 AM

Semi-auto, 90% of the time problems are ammo/mags combined.

#21 Lowe308 Re: Sig p226 slide not locking back after last shot

Lowe308

Shotgun Sam

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 10 May 2010 - 10:08 AM

I got well over 800 rounds and no problems. I would like to thank everyone for the help. SEMPER FI 0331

#22 45operator Re: Sig p226 slide not locking back after last shot

45operator

• Veteran Member
  • 6,702 posts

Posted 11 May 2010 - 07:35 AM

any time bud.