Sign in to follow this  
Admin

Michael B. Kassnar: Charles Daly and KBI Inc Out of Business

Admin    40

Some interesting news regarding Charles Daly, KBI, Inc.

To all our friends, fans, supporters and consumers of Charles Daly and by extension, KBI products, I regret to inform you that the rumors of our demise are true.

KBI is going out of business and closing its doors, effective today, January 29, 2010.

I don't want to go into each and every detail as to why this has occurred, except to say that there have been a multitude of events over the past five years that have contributed to our current situation.

For those of you with ongoing service requirements please be advised that we are currently negotiating with several companies that will be performing after-sale service of Charles Daly, CD Defense and Jericho firearms. As soon as we have finalized a contract with one of these companies we will post the name, address and contact details of that company on http://www.CharlesDalyForum.com , so you will know who to contact to obtain service on your KBI firearm.

Again, I wish to thank all of you that have supported our company, Charles Daly and all the other fine firearms that we have sold over the years.. This spells the end of KBI but I imagine it will certainly not mean the end of Charles Daly® and CD Defense™. Look for this excellent brand to resurface in the very near future.

Sincerely,

Michael B. Kassnar, President

K.B.I., Inc.

SOURCE: http://www.charlesdalydefense.com/

macshooter    7

Wow. I have to say I was never really impressed with the quality of their shotguns. I don't know about anything else they made. Never fired one, but they always seemed a little too cheaply made for me to seriously consider getting one.

BrowningBDA    11

Wow...

Just too many different manufactures with their badge to know exactly where a gun comes from. turkey, phillipines, eastern europe, ect.. ect...

Too bad... sad to see any company go down.

Admin    40

More Background on the demise:

-------------------

01-02-2010, 12:51 PM

"Everyone has been wondering about the status of the G4, particularly after the forum crashed and I posted on m1911.org in the interim. Here is what happened during my last visit to Israel last month...

During my meeting with Bul, I was informed that Bul had decided to supply Magnum Research (MRI) with a 1911. At first, I was furious that they would do this, particularly since they had not yet delivered the first G4 to us. Their reasoning was that KBI would not be able to handle all of the volume Bul intended to produce and that we shouldn't mind as everyone has a 1911 and the gun that Bul would supply to MRI was just another 1911. I agreed that there were many 1911's on the market, but only CD would have the G4.

After careful consideration I finally agreed to share the factory with MRI, as long as the model that Bul would supply to MRI was to a different specification than the G4 that would be supplied to KBI. I didn't like it, but at that point, in that we had not delivered the first G4, I rightfully believed that any 1911 from CD would be better than no 1911 at all.

You see, I was under the impression that MRI wanted a 1911 with front and rear slide serrations, a bull barrel and a Kimber style rear sight.

However, I was then informed that MRI wanted a 1911 with the exact same specification as the G4 and that Bul would produce it for MRI "per the customers request". It seems that somehow MRI had determined that the best configuration for a 1911 was one with rear slide serrations only, a bushing barrel setup and Novak style sights. I wonder where they got the idea that such a configuration is what the market wanted?

I then informed Bul that they had to decide between KBI and MRI. I would not buy the G4 if Bul intended to supply the exact same gun to MRI.

Bul insisted that they had no choice but to supply MRI with what MRI wanted and that was the end of our meeting. I had a few choice words for Bul and then returned to my hotel.

I've learned a valuable lesson here. I thought it was a great idea that we engaged our forum members to help us design the G4 and based on the participation of the forum members we arrived at a specification that consumers wanted in a 1911. But by doing this in such a public forum, we allowed our competitors to learn what we learned. Of course, I never suspected that our supplier would screw us and agree to produce the same gun for a competitor. But that is exactly what happened.

So we will never again solicit design ideas from our members. We will never again announce our plans for new products before they are in production. And we will do our best to only do business with suppliers that have some semblance of integrity.

My sincere apologies to the forum members who worked so hard to help us design the G4. Some will say that this is entirley my fault for not getting an agreement in writing that protected us from such behavior on our supplier's part. And I suppose they are right. However, in my own defense, I have to be able to trust our vendors to do the right thing. I don't want to do business with a company that can only be kept in line with a written agreement.

For now this spells the end of the G4, until such time as we can find a reputable manufacturere that we can work with. Perhaps we need to consider assembling the G4 in house. Only then might we be able to protect ourselves from unscrupulous and greedy suppliers who have absolutely no understanding of the US firearms market.

Sincerely,

Michael Kassnar, President

K.B.I., Inc."

SOURCE: http://www.charlesdalyforum.com/showpost.php?p=12492&postcount=1

SBHShooter    12

Good, those shotguns have given me so much damn trouble. We sent 2 back from our shop at the same time (a 12 and a 20 field grade) and they only fixed the 20 which had a minor bulge in the barrel that slowed the action just enough to not feed. The 12 had light strikes occasionally which from what I read online is a very common problem. Being common you'd think they would have a handle on it like putting service bulletins out or something, and a quick fix, but no. They sent it back unworked on with a letter saying they were done for. Good riddance.

Get this, the guy said he paid $600 for it and it was used. I wanted to slap him.