Sign in to follow this  
Yahoshua

Discreet Carry

I'm doing some nosing around for discreet carry options for full length shotguns and rifles and it's piqued my interest as to what anyone else does for discreet carry options. Anything that can be made to look like it isn't a firearm and still isn't worth stealing.

One idea I've seen was a gunbag that looks about the size of a Youth Starter Cello and will securely hold an M4 carbine with side-mounted light and loaded magazine in the lower and up to 8 magazines in the side pouch. Cost was about $110 and is manufactured by LWRC. Another was to modify a Tennis bag or Racquetball paddle bag to hold a separated M4 upper and lower with one loaded magazine

My current interest is adapting a Levys CM88 guitar bag and having a tailor sew in some MOLLE webbing on the inside and I can cut my own strips of hook and loop fasteners to secure the firearm in the case.

What are your ideas/options?

Is this carry for a truck? car?

Musical instruments are usually expensive... and worth stealing for the pawn money. You'd be better off with something that looks like an old baseball bag... large sports bag with sweaty looking clothes on top (like you just came from the gym. No one wants to steal your work out clothes.

I agree with Browning. Get an old baseball bag (that stores bats in the bottom), then get some dense, close celled foam and build a little home for it in the bottom of the bag. Cover it with some black cloth or another layer of foam and put some junk on top of it.

Jared

not sure where you are planing on being discreet, but if you are looking for something in the back of a van or SUV that doesn't scream GUN, you might use a large diameter PVC pipe. block one end with black plastic, put the weapon in, and do the same with the other end. it will look like scrap PVC, not a gun case.

Here is an interesting one, using a camp chair bag to carry a rifle.

Got it from a thread on the GRRN Forum:

Thread Link

Couple of pics, looks functional and low cost.

post-2710-126236485402_thumb.jpg

post-2710-126236486244_thumb.jpg

The application is for moving from home/apt to car or for long distance travel without the bag screaming gun from the door to the trunk. This isn't something that I find necessary for me personally at the moment but there may be times of need in the future.

So far the list goes (Including the above posts):

-Sports bag

-Baseball bat bag

-Camping chair bag

-Small guitar/starter cello bag

-PVC piping (with fishing equipment for additional disguise?)

-Tennis/Racquetball bag

Another one I can think of is the nylon shopping bags (if they're large enough), or a worm-driven hand saw bag.

Just from house to vehicle any unassuming looking bag would be fine. I wouldn't worry about getting too intricate with that. I usually load my stuff up around 5am because I don't like any passerby to see anything that looks like it'd be a good reason to break into the house.

While it's in the car nothing bag-like is really safe. Believe it or not I've had friends get their baseball stuff stolen and sweaty gym clothes stolen. If nothing else someone will take a bag to put the other things they steal into. If you've got a car with a trunk I'd put bag with the gun in the back of the trunk and put a bunch of bags of whatever in front of it. Most cars have little hiding places in them that may work as well.

first aid kits make great gun car safes...nobody opens first aid kits

get a sub-2000 rifle, and put it in the bottom of reusable shopping bag kicked under the seat. toss a couple other reusable shopping bags in the car as cammo

when there was talk of riots i put a sub-2000 in a maxpadition bag, with a hundred and twenty rounds, it just looked like a green bag.