• Create Account

Photo
- - - - -

H&R Hammerless 38 help.

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
10 replies to this topic

#1 SBHShooter

SBHShooter

WE ALL LIKE

• Veteran Member
  • 4,663 posts

Posted 12 November 2009 - 02:26 PM

So there is an H&R hammerless in our shop that was left when the previous gunsmith passed away, right? So anyway, I've never worked on one of these, and it looks to me like there is supposed to be a spring under the rebounder that lifts it into contact with the back of the trigger. I'm unable to find any diagrams that show parts in there places, but I do see a list of parts and there is no part listed for a rebounder spring, but the gun that I have is newer than the listing, so I'm at a loss. There are parts on the diagram that aren't in the gun because they were replaced by design changes, and there is this rebounder (sear in hammer guns, since this is DAO the only function this serves is to pull the hammer back from the firing pin.) I've assembled the entire gun and it will not function because of the rebounder sitting on the trigger and binding, so I need to push the part up to get it to clear.

To make matters worse, with no diagrams that show parts layout, I have no idea what this would look like, and no idea how it would remain in place, the best idea I have is to drill into the trigger guard and stick the legs there and bend it forward to push against the rebounder. Then consider the fact that its a FREAKING H&R! Definitely not worth the time I'm putting into it.

So, does anybody have any idea about this gun, how it lays out and such?

PS I never would have taken this flood gun into the shop, but the dude that did died so I can't scream at him.

#2 emclean Re: H&R Hammerless 38 help.

emclean

A True Legend on the Gun Forums

• Veteran Member
  • 11,456 posts

Posted 13 November 2009 - 09:59 AM

have you considered call the customer, and telling them that (insert name of former gun smith) was an expert on the H&R's you are not, and are not able to find any repair documentation.

#3 Cyclops01 Re: H&R Hammerless 38 help.

Cyclops01

I prefer synthetic stocks

• Members
  • 787 posts

Posted 13 November 2009 - 11:44 AM

SBH, your question piqued my curiosity so I went searching at my favorite obsolete gun parts source. I can't help but wonder how H&R was able to keep their stuff in any kind of order. They have numerous models of hammerless; small frame new, small frame old, large frame new, large frame old and, in what they designate as "marked" and "unmarked" versions. There are no drawings and only thumbnail photos of two or three parts under each model listing.

One of those parts is a "trigger spring, flat" and another is a "lever spring". Maybe one of these is what you're looking for.

You can find these at www.e-gunparts.com and, you can contact them for assistance in finding / determining hard to identify parts.

Good luck.

Mike
III
Oath Keeper

#4 SBHShooter Re: H&R Hammerless 38 help.

SBHShooter

WE ALL LIKE

• Veteran Member
  • 4,663 posts

Posted 13 November 2009 - 04:18 PM

SBH, your question piqued my curiosity so I went searching at my favorite obsolete gun parts source. I can't help but wonder how H&R was able to keep their stuff in any kind of order. They have numerous models of hammerless; small frame new, small frame old, large frame new, large frame old and, in what they designate as "marked" and "unmarked" versions. There are no drawings and only thumbnail photos of two or three parts under each model listing.

One of those parts is a "trigger spring, flat" and another is a "lever spring". Maybe one of these is what you're looking for.

That's my problem, nobody has an exploded diagram to see what goes there, and without spring pressure the gun won't function unless turned upside down.

lever=hand somehow in their language, and the hand spring is in place. The trigger spring is gigantic and located on the other side of the trigger guard, so there is no possible way it connects to this part in question. I'm at a loss still.

Em, the other guy was definitely not an expert, he thought refinishing would be a quick buck and on old guns that is never the case. This has been a major money loss so far and will continue to get worse as I experiment with other spring types.

#5 emclean Re: H&R Hammerless 38 help.

emclean

A True Legend on the Gun Forums

• Veteran Member
  • 11,456 posts

Posted 13 November 2009 - 06:36 PM

you know he wasn't, but no reason to tell the customer that your predecessor was an idiot.

#6 SBHShooter Re: H&R Hammerless 38 help.

SBHShooter

WE ALL LIKE

• Veteran Member
  • 4,663 posts

Posted 16 November 2009 - 12:57 PM

I got it sorted, made a new spring from .020" music wire, probably functions better than it did new.

Now if I could only find the grips that were on the gun when it came in <_<

#7 JSheaHawk Re: H&R Hammerless 38 help.

JSheaHawk

Board Lifer

• 12,515 posts

Posted 16 November 2009 - 09:22 PM

Now if I could only find the grips that were on the gun when it came in <_<

:laughing1: Duct tape.

Jared

#8 Yahoshua Re: H&R Hammerless 38 help.

Yahoshua

Blued Steel

• Veteran Member
  • 4,249 posts

Posted 25 November 2009 - 10:35 AM

The grips are made of Unobtanium from the land of No-Gottyem'.

You're gonna either have to find a junk revolver to strip the grips off of or hand carve some new grips.

If you haven't done so already, draw a short-hand diagram for that revolver so you'll have some idea of what parts go where the next time you come across an H&R that needs repairs.

In the future, whenever you have a chance to acquire a junk gun, cut it up into a couple of pieces and do some bluing/parkerizing jobs on them (high polish, wire brush and sand-blasted). When you're done you can post photos of before/after results and display the pieces on a board in the shop. The refinishing work should pretty much sell itself to people who want it. Duracoating is also another great way to expand the refinishing services the shop will offer and draw in more work over the slow season.

#9 SBHShooter Re: H&R Hammerless 38 help.

SBHShooter

WE ALL LIKE

• Veteran Member
  • 4,663 posts

Posted 03 December 2009 - 11:50 PM

The grips are made of Unobtanium from the land of No-Gottyem'.

Umm, or buy them from Numrich. That works too.

EDIT: I did have to pull the bushings from an Iver Johnson to screw them together.

#10 Yahoshua Re: H&R Hammerless 38 help.

Yahoshua

Blued Steel

• Veteran Member
  • 4,249 posts

Posted 29 December 2009 - 08:35 PM

Umm, or buy them from Numrich. That works too.

EDIT: I did have to pull the bushings from an Iver Johnson to screw them together.

As much "junk" as I have thrown away here and there in the past, I've always been grateful for those small bins of "junk" that the last gunsmith had gathered together to either make spare parts or use as a substitute. Lesson learned: Be a Pack Rat.

As far as Numrich is concerned they take a LONG time to get parts from and most of the time the parts you get are either just as bad as the parts you're trying to replace or nearly unusable. Jack First carries parts of much better quality and are faster to order from, but their prices are considerably higher.

#11 SBHShooter Re: H&R Hammerless 38 help.

SBHShooter

WE ALL LIKE

• Veteran Member
  • 4,663 posts

Posted 02 January 2010 - 05:58 PM

As much "junk" as I have thrown away here and there in the past, I've always been grateful for those small bins of "junk" that the last gunsmith had gathered together to either make spare parts or use as a substitute. Lesson learned: Be a Pack Rat.

As far as Numrich is concerned they take a LONG time to get parts from and most of the time the parts you get are either just as bad as the parts you're trying to replace or nearly unusable. Jack First carries parts of much better quality and are faster to order from, but their prices are considerably higher.

Numrich's always gotten me either the right part or close enough to mod a bit and get usable. Jack First has more obsolete parts as well, but Numrich happens to have every variation of H&R grip in stock (I was amazed actually.)

Gift Ideas - Bulk Ammo Sale