Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
crazyrandy217

My first SKS

Question

Hello All, i just got my first one. cost $100.00 i know nothing about it besides made in China sks 762x39 thats what it has under the front of the barrel. it has a set of numbers on top close to the sight. #27843 thanks for any information.

14 answers to this question

You have some surface rust on the outside. How's the bore look? As long as the bore's clear, you did indeed steal that thing! Well done!

Jared

I think you may be looking at the wrong numbers. I've had a few Norinco SKS's and the ones that I had all had a 7 or 8 digit serial numbers. Plus I did a little research and I couldn't find anything with a 5 digit serial number. Check the receiver for a 7 or 8 digit serial number... or possibly a six digit. That 6, 7, or 8 digit number will correspond to a production year. For example, my Norinco SKS has 24,XXX,XXX serial number which corresponds to a 1980 production date. See the chart below:

Here's how it works:

Serial number less than 1,000,000 ------> 1956

1,XXX,XXX ------> 1957

2,XXX,XXX ------> 1958

3,XXX,XXX ------> 1959

4,XXX,XXX ------> 1960

5,XXX,XXX ------> 1961

6,XXX,XXX ------> 1962

7,XXX,XXX ------> 1963

8,XXX,XXX ------> 1964

9,XXX,XXX ------> 1965

10,XXX,XXX ------> 1966

11,XXX,XXX ------> 1967

12,XXX,XXX ------> 1968

13,XXX,XXX ------> 1969

14,XXX,XXX ------> 1970

15,XXX,XXX ------> 1971

16,XXX,XXX ------> 1972

17,XXX,XXX ------> 1973

18,XXX,XXX ------> 1974

19,XXX,XXX ------> 1975

20,XXX,XXX ------> 1976

21,XXX,XXX ------> 1977

22,XXX,XXX ------> 1978

23,XXX,XXX ------> 1979

24,XXX,XXX ------> 1980

25,XXX,XXX ------> 1981

Also, rifles serial number 9,000,000 (1965) and higher had the spike bayonet fitted while those below 9,000,000 had the standard blade type bayonet. Since yours has a blade it is a 1964 or earlier unless someone has switched the bayonet.

Did you fellas notice the blade bayonet instead of a the typical spike bayonet?

It looks like a Sino Soviet blade bayonet and the receiver may have early Chinese factory code 26 SKS which was produced from 1956 till 1965.

It is possible that this is a Sino-Soviet SKS that some one "Bubba-fied".

If it is, it is a rare version.

PS It's also missing its cleaning rod.

During the mid-50's, when the Soviets introduced the SKS to the Chinese, they sent parts, machinery, and workers to China's Jianshe(factory /26\) plant to get the Chinese started with the Simonov carbine. IIRC, they were made with surplus Soviet parts at factory 26, and were made between 1955-1956. 1955 was the first production run. And rather than a normal six digit serial no. like othe Norincos, they have alpha-numeric serials, with one western letter followed by four numerals. It's basically a Chinese-built Russian SKS.
Dr. Zoidberg likes this

Thank's to All, the bore is clean. it shoot's great. it is missing the cleaning rod. i did get a cleaning kit and stripper clip with it. plus a few round's. i had to take a better look at the number's. it look's like a 7 digit i think. Thank's again Randy

Thank's to All, the bore is clean. it shoot's great. it is missing the cleaning rod. i did get a cleaning kit and stripper clip with it. plus a few round's. i had to take a better look at the number's. it look's like a 7 digit i think. Thank's again Randy

The 7 digit serial number is consistent with the blade style bayonet. It should start with a 1-8 which indicates that it is a early rifle.

I gots me a SKS and it is a very great gun it shoots just like my AK-47

Great find! Mine came with the Dragunov stock, and although I love it, I *think* I need another one with an original. I don't think you could have done better for $100; in my area the cheapest they come is $300.

New to sks. Need help identifying sks make and model.

Serial number on top of bolt is 235941

Serial number on the side of the receiver is 3235941

That's all the identifying features I have seen on the gun.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.