• Create Account

Photo
- - - - -

SKS Rules

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
6 replies to this topic

#1 Muddauber

Muddauber

Ahoy hoy

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 17 August 2009 - 12:37 PM

Hello
I am new to this forum and a new SKS owner. Can anyone tell me since the Clinton ban has expired are there still any restrictions on changes to the SKS. I'm thinking about mainly a larger magazine and maybe a scope at this time. Thanks for any help.

#2 Black B15 Re: SKS Rules

Black B15

Bang Bang Shoot Shoot

• Members
  • 86 posts

Posted 17 August 2009 - 04:58 PM

The rule of thumb is that if you change anything (like the magazine) you will have to make sure the gun is 922r compliant.

For example, when I changed my mag I changed the piston, operating rod, stock, handguard/gas tube, muzzle break etc...

I would say look up the 922r guidelines and how they apply to the SKS. I think they are listed here actually. If you change ONE of the parts on the "evil" list you will need to change several.

#3 kahr9mm Re: SKS Rules

kahr9mm

"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson

• Members
  • 238 posts

Posted 17 August 2009 - 05:20 PM

CONGRATS on the sks! i have one and i love it. he is right though, but i wouldn't worry about it .. the tapco stuff does look cool i have to admit. just do what you want with it, i'm sure there very few people who have ever gotten into trouble for an "illegally modified" sks carbine. i bring mine to the DNR gun range with the 30 rd mag, and nobody looks twice. i will say though that most people i've ran into agree with me in saying cool sks site to look at ....

http://www.victorinc.com/SKS-FAQ.html
ps let's see a pic !!

#4 Dr. Zoidberg Re: SKS Rules

Dr. Zoidberg

Still Deciding If I Belong Here...

• Members
  • 129 posts

Posted 17 August 2009 - 08:58 PM

Tapco has a 922r compliance kit that includes everything that you will need for about $135. The kit includes the Tapco stock, 20 round magazine, gas piston, operating rod and a muzzle brake. I personally don't like the high-cap mags for SKS rifles as I think using 10 round strippers is a lot easier. But I do have the Tapco Fusion stock for my Yugo SKS rifle and I like it a lot. I also have the UTG scout type tri-rail mount for it. It's the type that clamps to the barrel & gastube and holds zero very well. I never had much luck with the top-cover SKS mounts as I found they did not hold zero very well. The Leupold FXII Scout long-eye relief scope works very well with this rifle and mount.

http://www.midwayusa...=973077#enlarge

Posted Image

#5 Muddauber Re: SKS Rules

Muddauber

Ahoy hoy

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 18 August 2009 - 07:54 AM

Thanks for the help and good advice.

I forgot to mention it is a chinese Norinco SKS.

I will read up on 922.

Muddauber

#6 Dr. Zoidberg Re: SKS Rules

Dr. Zoidberg

Still Deciding If I Belong Here...

• Members
  • 129 posts

Posted 18 August 2009 - 12:19 PM

Thanks for the help and good advice.

I forgot to mention it is a chinese Norinco SKS.

I will read up on 922.

Muddauber

No need to read up. As long as you change the parts that I mentioned: stock, 20 round magazine(=3 parts: body, floorplate, follower), gas piston, operating rod and a muzzle brake, you are 922r compliant.

#7 Black B15 Re: SKS Rules

Black B15

Bang Bang Shoot Shoot

• Members
  • 86 posts

Posted 18 August 2009 - 08:50 PM

Here is the list, please note this is for REFERENCE ONLY. Anyone reading this needs to know that this is NOT my field of expertise and each person should make sure that they are in compliance with local/state and federal laws.

(1) Frames, receivers, receiver castings, forgings or stampings
(2) Barrels
(3) Barrel extensions
(4) Mounting blocks (trunions)
(5) Muzzle attachments
(6) Bolts
(7) Bolt carriers
(8) Operating rods
(9) Gas pistons
(10) Trigger housings
(11) Triggers
(12) Hammers
(13) Sears
(14) Disconnectors
(15) Buttstocks

(16) Pistol grips
(17) Forearms, handguards
(18) Magazine bodies
(19) Followers
(20) Floorplates

If you have a Norinco SKS, you need to change out SIX parts from the BOLD items above. If you have a yugo SKS you need to change out SEVEN parts from the BOLD items above.