So I am looking for help here.

I am wearing Army Combat Uniforms a lot less since I took this teaching gig. Lots of Polo and Khakis and such.

I have worn out a pair of 5.11 and I tear up conventional Khaki pants (guns, knife pocket clips, kneeling during matches and at the range, etc) even faster.

The 5.11s were not as tough as I would like and I need some variety to my wardrobe. Anyone have experiences with the various tactical and non-tactical clothiers? Who makes good clothing for the citizen who clanks when he walks?

A good pair of Dickies work pants comes to mind. I used to go through dress pants as a waiter every two months or so, believe it or not. My main problem was that I wore boots with zippers and I carried pens in my pockets. The boot zippers would tear up the pant cuffs, and the pens would stab through the pockets. I bought a pair of Dickies black dress pants from K-Mart in January and they still look as new as the day I bought them. I'm not aware of any pairs that have built-in knee pads or anything similar, however.

A good pair of Dickies work pants comes to mind. I used to go through dress pants as a waiter every two months or so, believe it or not. My main problem was that I wore boots with zippers and I carried pens in my pockets. The boot zippers would tear up the pant cuffs, and the pens would stab through the pockets. I bought a pair of Dickies black dress pants from K-Mart in January and they still look as new as the day I bought them. I'm not aware of any pairs that have built-in knee pads or anything similar, however.

Knee Pads.....Monic?

Knee Pads.....Monic?

"Monic?"

I just brought up knee pads because he mentioned that he knelt sometimes during matches and at the range.

Not a bad idea for a thread. I have issues with my carry piece wearing out my dress/work pants.

For activities where I wear out my pants I wear carhartt or key outerwear stuff. Ever since carhartt became the redneck armani it's pretty expensive though.

If they don't have anything dressy enough for you I'd just go with the dickies or whatever you can find the cheapest. For khakis it seems like the 10 dollar ones last as long as the 80 dollar ones.

I got on the Duluth Trading Company mailing list somehow and they make pants out of firehose material. It's allegedly tougher than canvas so you might want to check them out.

For activities where I wear out my pants I wear carhartt or key outerwear stuff. Ever since carhartt became the redneck armani it's pretty expensive though.

I kind of feel unamerican because I've never owned carhartt.

But you're right about the price. I've wanted to get some just as work clothes, but with what they cost I'd be afraid to get the stuff dirty.

I kind of feel unamerican because I've never owned carhartt.

But you're right about the price. I've wanted to get some just as work clothes, but with what they cost I'd be afraid to get the stuff dirty.

I get mine for free from Cabela's because I use their credit card and build up points. Key outerwear and some other companies make the exact same stuff out the exact same material for cheaper. Carhartt does make the best coveralls and bibs though so those two items are worth the money.

FYI, got me some SigPro pants and I love them...mind you they were on sale for 20 bucks. Most of my "tactical pants" are either EMT pants from Galls, cargo pants from Old Navy or just BDU pants.

Allright, I took Macho999's advice and got two pair of Duluth Trading Company's Fire-Hose Work Pants. They are made out of the same stuff as firehoses, are pretty comfy and this particular model has lots o' pockets. They come in a plethora of colors, the better to not look tacticool in. They seem to be pretty tough. I have had them for about two weeks and they seems pretty durable but I have not really run them through the wringer yet. I give them the Chem seal of approval. They are at least as handy as 5.11s.

http://www.duluthtrading.com/store/duluth-ingenuity/fire-hose-clothes-apparel/92204.aspx?feature=product_1

Also from 5.11 I tried their Covert Cargo pants. They do not have the traditional backwards slash rear pockets most people associate with 5.11 pants.

http://www.511tactical.com/browse/Home/All-Products/Pants/Tactical-Pants/511-Covert-Cargo-Pant/D/30100/P/1:100:50000:50100:50101/I/74290

They have a bunch of facinating option extras like some non-standard pockets that are underneath the front pockets, so the lines of what is in those pockets are broken up by what is in your front pockets. They include in each underpocket a pair of sewn magazine pockets that hold one mag apiece very securely and pretty easy to access. I have carried my normal pocket litter plus two 15 round mags on my left side, a surefire and CAT tournaquit on my right and nothing on the belt except my Glock 23.

Here is a video of its features: http://www.511tactical.com/videoplayer.html?movie=DVD_03A_CovertKhaki&pn=the%20Covert%20Khaki%20Pants&pl=

And all the 5.11 product videos, pretty neat: http://www.511tactical.com/videos.html

Late to the game... but I gotta second the Old Navy stuff... the loose boot cut cargo jeans work great for carry.then again, I dont shoot matches like you do... so... I'm sure your stuff is made to your needs much better!

I am taken with these fire hose pants, but I don't know how often I'd wear them. Do they look like someone cut a 4" line in half and made legs out of them?

Ha...twelve pockets. Anyone else watch the 5.11 video? Anyone else tired of people using the word "operator"?

Jared

I am taken with these fire hose pants, but I don't know how often I'd wear them. Do they look like someone cut a 4" line in half and made legs out of them?

Ha...twelve pockets. Anyone else watch the 5.11 video? Anyone else tired of people using the word "operator"?

Jared

Dont get the fire hose colored pants. They dont look bad in the different colors.

Yes I did notice the obsession with the term operator. The worst was the Rob Pincus personal defense DVDs from the American Rifleman Video collection (back when I used to get them). That dude calls everything from a tussle to a pitched battle a "dynamic critical incident" it got old fast.

Seriously those 5.11s are cool, last time you saw me I was carrying a ton of hardware and I didnt clank too bad.

Dont get the fire hose colored pants. They dont look bad in the different colors.

Yes I did notice the obsession with the term operator. The worst was the Rob Pincus personal defense DVDs from the American Rifleman Video collection (back when I used to get them). That dude calls everything from a tussle to a pitched battle a "dynamic critical incident" it got old fast.

Seriously those 5.11s are cool, last time you saw me I was carrying a ton of hardware and I didnt clank too bad.

Is that to say that you did get the fire hose colored ones?

And it's a good thing you didn't clank...I would have taken out your robot ass! :laughing1:

Jared

The hose pants have hardly aged, if they have one flaw, unlike 5.11d they have no elastic in the waistband if you expand. I gained some weight a while back and could not carry IWB, lately I have dropped enough to carry with them.

The covert cargos from 5.11 wear out over time but they last long enough. I have gone almost exclusively to them. I have them in 4 different colors and their identical pocket configuration allows consistent patterns of carry. I have been able to move most gear off my belt. The only gear I carry on the belt now is the gun and the cell phone. All ammo, knives, flash lights are all in pockets now. They are also economical by shopping LA Police Gear http://www.lapolicegear.com/

I signed up for their irritating email announcements and wait for a crazy low closeout sale and guy 8 pairs at once. Weight long enough and you get them for 20bucks or buy two get one free, etc.

I was looking for something to handle briars better than jeans. I don't have the credentials to wear cargo pants.

I'm starting to hate jeans more every day. In almost any situation there's a better option. In the office or around town dress pants look better. In a thicket thorns poke you like you've got nothing on. In the summer they burn you up. In the winter they freeze you to death. If you step in something wet it runs up to your knee and takes 3 days to dry. I feel sorry for the poor bastards that saw these as an improvement back in the 1800s.

I haven't owned a pair of jeans in about 3 years, I don't think they look good, they stick to your skin when you're crouching or getting on a motorcycle and won't slide over your knee, and when they hit asphalt they rip apart like a Kleenex. I wear lots of cargo pants from various makers, and have some Dickies work pants I've had since I was a mechanic (at 18) that have saved my skin literally 3 times.

I get mine for free from Cabela's because I use their credit card and build up points. Key outerwear and some other companies make the exact same stuff out the exact same material for cheaper. Carhartt does make the best coveralls and bibs though so those two items are worth the money.

amen to that i have a size 5x snow suit from carhart 2 winters now and in upper michigan you can freeze your a$$ off in a hurry tube dont worry about getting it dirty thats what the washing machine is for also same goes for dickies. saved my life coveralls kept me from getting ripped open by some metel under the house.i replace the coveralls also was able to keep my arm too.