Sign in to follow this  
Black B15

Poor Mans Bulletproof Vest

Has anyone heard of this "poor mans bulletproof vest"? So I was looking around on the web the other day, and I see this guy selling a PDF file claiming that you can make your own bulletproof vest.

Rather than me try to explain it...I will try to just post it up. I am wanting to test it, but here in Phoenix I don't think they are going to let me test bulletproof materials at a public range.

So...someone should try this and update us with results. Even if it is bad, I would be curious to see what kind of protection, if any, this method may provide.

EDIT*** Does anyone know how to post a PDF file here? I was under the impression I could just use a hosting site like photobucket but that doesn't seem to work.

At any rate, they are taking pieces of felt and cutting them to shape. Then they mix silicone with quartz sand until it is thoroughly mixed, and they take a putty knife and press/drag the silicone mix onto/into the felt. They do one side, let it dry 24 hours, then the other side and let it dry 24 hours. I think the idea is you could make a few layers like this and seal them together with the silicone/quartz mix. I am curious what level of protection this offers. If it even offers the most minor bullet proof protection I assume you could do more layers, or maybe more sand or something to allow for more ballistic properties.

Again, I was hoping someone would try it and update the rest of us with the results.

I just wrap myself in sandbags...

It'd probably be easiest to link to the original source.

Jared

I just wrap myself in sandbags...

It'd probably be easiest to link to the original source.

Jared

Thats the problem, I bought it online and it was sent to me in a PDF format.

Can you not just add it as an attachment to your post? There's an "attachments" section directly under where you type your text for the reply.

you copuld just make a chunk of this up, and shoot at it. if you make it the size of a sheet of paper, and then put a paper target over it, no one would know what it is.

I wouldn't really worry about the rounds failing to penatrate the test sample. felt coated in calk isn't going to stop much of anything.

you copuld just make a chunk of this up, and shoot at it. if you make it the size of a sheet of paper, and then put a paper target over it, no one would know what it is.

I wouldn't really worry about the rounds failing to penatrate the test sample. felt coated in calk isn't going to stop much of anything.

They mentioned that you mix in quartz sand as well, I would have to think that 2 or 3 layers of this stuff done right may be able to stop lower caliber bullets....I don't think there is ever a chance for this stuff to be rated at III or IV (no way this will ever stop a rifle).

But I am still convinced that it may be able to stop some lower caliber handguns.

I am so tempted to try it, but at the range I go to they are always all over me like a hawk. There are always 5-6 people going up and down the range checking EVERYONE the entire time.

Call me crazy, but there's an aweful lot of desert around Phoenix. I find it hard to believe you find an appropriate testing location outside the city.

Call me crazy, but there's an aweful lot of desert around Phoenix. I find it hard to believe you find an appropriate testing location outside the city.

I could, if I had a pickup truck. Most places that you would go shooting would be in the desert....requiring a lot of crossing of old washes and large sand dunes. I CANNOT get to any of these places in my car. Most places that WOULD be accessible by car have regulations against target shooting. I am sure there are places, but I haven't found any that I would dub "safe" or "legal".

I think I'd go the Clint Eastwood route and get some steel plates and a poncho. I don't think I'd trust a poor man's bulletproof vest.

Black B15,where in PHX are you? I lived there from '84 to '90 and drove a 1976 VW Rabbit almost anywhere out there in the desert.I know it's grown huge there,my last visit was in 2002 and yes i know there are not many places left.Your car should be able to go out to the Verde River and there should be some places to shoot out there.Head out towards Miami/Globe there should be some places out there.

We use to go out Pima Road above Bell before everybody and their dog built out there!

Black B15,where in PHX are you? I lived there from '84 to '90 and drove a 1976 VW Rabbit almost anywhere out there in the desert.I know it's grown huge there,my last visit was in 2002 and yes i know there are not many places left.Your car should be able to go out to the Verde River and there should be some places to shoot out there.Head out towards Miami/Globe there should be some places out there.

We use to go out Pima Road above Bell before everybody and their dog built out there!

I actually live up in north phoenix....about 10 miles south of Cave Creek.

Yeah, I lived here in the 90's and am back again. So help me out with something, I assume if it's not posted "NO SHOOTING" it is acceptable to do target shooting with a good backstop like a nice sand dune?

I am just so worried that I will be shooting where it is not allowed or that I will have a ricochet/flyer and possibly hit something/someone. Now, with my .223 I am not so worried about it, but the 7.62x39 wants to keep on pounding through things after initial contact.

I think I'd go the Clint Eastwood route and get some steel plates and a poncho. I don't think I'd trust a poor man's bulletproof vest.

I actually just did that, since you mentioned it. I bought two 10x12 ballistic steel plates and plate carrier. I can stop the bullet but now I have to worry about the fragments and the trauma. I know I am going to get 10x12 soft trauma plates for between the steel plate and the body, but am thinking I need something on the outside of the plate as well.

Does anyone have any info on how to avoid this....like maybe putting a soft trauma panel in FRONT of the ballistic panel to catch any fragments?

I am just so worried that I will be shooting where it is not allowed or that I will have a ricochet/flyer and possibly hit something/someone. Now, with my .223 I am not so worried about it, but the 7.62x39 wants to keep on pounding through things after initial contact.

I think a sand dune would be more than enough to stop a 7.62. But, yeah, fliers are bad ju-ju.

Jared

*bump*

Bought some stuff similar to the .pdf....going to do some of my own testing. I will NOT be posting results on this thread. If you want to know what works, let me know and I will PM you with my results.

It'd definitely be cool if you tested it Box O' Truth style. Start a new thread about it if you want to post it.

I'd be interested in what works. Being able to make some kind of panels (windows, etc.) for SHTF scenarios would be nice. I'd recommend against saying it's a bullet resistant vest though...

Jared

It'd definitely be cool if you tested it Box O' Truth style. Start a new thread about it if you want to post it.

I'd be interested in what works. Being able to make some kind of panels (windows, etc.) for SHTF scenarios would be nice. I'd recommend against saying it's a bullet resistant vest though...

Jared

Exactly- which is one of the reasons why I won't post the results for the entire world to see...if they want to know they can find out for themselves.

However, Jared, if YOU want to know- I'd be more than happy to PM you with what I've found to be the best. The .pdf did most of the leg work find out what kind of glue works (Silcone based) and what type of cloth (felt). So all I really have to do is find out how thick- what it stops, how much it weighs, what type of glue is best, ect.

same here. may make for good alternative when armoring a vehicle.

Exactly- which is one of the reasons why I won't post the results for the entire world to see...if they want to know they can find out for themselves.

However, Jared, if YOU want to know- I'd be more than happy to PM you with what I've found to be the best. The .pdf did most of the leg work find out what kind of glue works (Silcone based) and what type of cloth (felt). So all I really have to do is find out how thick- what it stops, how much it weighs, what type of glue is best, ect.

Different types of backing maybe, there may be something better than clay to simulate the body. I'd be interested more in seeing how that changes the results, could you imagine a vest working fine for one person, but fail the exact same test for somebody else because they were fatter/skinnier?

*update*

FYI I've been working EXTENSIVELY on this...I have followed the instructions in the book and have deviated a little to no avail.

Although I have yet to add powdered quartz to the mix (that may be the smoking gun) no amount or layering of silicone (any variant) on felt will suffice.

The standard is from one ball 9mm firing from 10' at normal test...then the panel is folder on itself (doubeling it) and repeated until it is 4x thick (usually approx 3-4" thick).

All rounds have gone through all tests (10 have been done)...testing is continuing but alternatives are also being sought.

Try kevlar.

Jared

After buying it by the yard, making a vest out of it and testing there is no real cost benifit....especially when you can buy cheap, used armor vests HERE

The full-body impact vest is cool. I wonder if it could be modded to accept plate inserts.