• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Sailor Dicky

Sailor Dicky

I need to post more.

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 10 May 2009 - 10:45 AM

Hey guys, this is my first ever forum post so forgive me if it is unclear at all. I rescently saved a Marlin 30-30 from certain neglect in my brother-in-law's closet. I believe it is a model 336A. When I cock it, the lever locks down and I can't close it unless I stick a pen in the gap between the trigger guard and the lever joint. I'm not sure if it is the ejector sticking or what. This is my first lever action so I have little to no knowledge on the internals. Anyone have any ideas or guidance?

Also, I was reading about the soft tipped ammunition made for lever actions, is it really necessary or can I just sight this thing in with the cheap stuff?

~Dicky

#2 CulminatingJoe Re: Problem with my Marlin 30-30

CulminatingJoe

RKI#7

• Senior Moderator
  • 5,259 posts

Posted 10 May 2009 - 04:29 PM

Not sure on the hammer problem, I'd need to get my hands on it and fiddle about.

My 336A is fed Hornady Lever revolutions. 160 gr flexi points in a spitzer shape. Shoot very accurately for a lever (~2.5 to 3inchs at 100m) and allegedly the velocity is good. I do know they bloody flattened the 10 goats I got on my last trip. Crackerjack dropping power.

Use the cheap stuff if you like...I want to hit and kill what I aim at.

#3 Sailor Dicky Re: Problem with my Marlin 30-30

Sailor Dicky

I need to post more.

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 10 May 2009 - 10:51 PM

Culminating Joe, Thanks alot for the reply. I've heard great things about the Lever revolutions and I do plan on using them when I hunt, but I plan on using the cheap stuff when I'm just plinking around. My question was more about the safety of hard pointed bullets in the magazine tube. I've heard horror stories of one bullet hitting the primer on the bullet in front. Is this a valid concern?

#4 Sailor Dicky Re: Problem with my Marlin 30-30

Sailor Dicky

I need to post more.

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 12:05 AM

Okay, so I figured out what the problem is. The carrier isn't lifting and there for the lever can't come back. Does anyone know how that can be fixed?

#5 CulminatingJoe Re: Problem with my Marlin 30-30

CulminatingJoe

RKI#7

• Senior Moderator
  • 5,259 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 02:26 AM

QUOTE (Sailor Dicky @ May 11 2009, 01:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Culminating Joe, Thanks alot for the reply. I've heard great things about the Lever revolutions and I do plan on using them when I hunt, but I plan on using the cheap stuff when I'm just plinking around. My question was more about the safety of hard pointed bullets in the magazine tube. I've heard horror stories of one bullet hitting the primer on the bullet in front. Is this a valid concern?

Completely valid. Do not ever use anything but round nose, flat point, hollow point or flex tip ammunition ok? Ever. Unless you like having <10 fingers.

#6 SBHShooter Re: Problem with my Marlin 30-30

SBHShooter

WE ALL LIKE

• Veteran Member
  • 4,662 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 03:14 AM

QUOTE (Sailor Dicky @ May 11 2009, 12:05 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Okay, so I figured out what the problem is. The carrier isn't lifting and there for the lever can't come back. Does anyone know how that can be fixed?

Assembly error, the lever, carrier, and locking bolt have to go in with a certain relation. Also, the lever has to be inserted into the bolt cutout just right.

#7 Sailor Dicky Re: Problem with my Marlin 30-30

Sailor Dicky

I need to post more.

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 13 May 2009 - 11:11 PM

QUOTE (SBHShooter @ May 10 2009, 10:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Assembly error, the lever, carrier, and locking bolt have to go in with a certain relation. Also, the lever has to be inserted into the bolt cutout just right.

SBH, I'm pretty possitive I assembled it correctly after cleaning but the lever isn't engaging the carrier for some reason. When I pull the lever all the way forward should the carrier lift the next round up into the chamber? The reason I ask is because when I pull the lever forward the carrier stays down and when I try to pull it back it is locked up.

#8 SBHShooter Re: Problem with my Marlin 30-30

SBHShooter

WE ALL LIKE

• Veteran Member
  • 4,662 posts

Posted 17 May 2009 - 11:37 PM

I've never experienced this directly, but I've been told that leaving the Loading Spring ("Dust Cover") screw loose will cause the rifle to jam, making the carrier get wedged when it is trying to move. Ensure that is tight, and also be sure that you have all the screws in the right place. Sometimes this kind of bind is caused by having one screw that is too long in the hole, as that will keep the carrier from getting past it.

In answer to your question, the carrier is all the way down or close to it when you have the lever all the way forward. Most of my knowledge is from shotguns, but tube magazines are all pretty similar. The carrier is shoved down and the last shell in the mag tube is released from the shell latch onto the carrier about 1/4" from full lever extension. This is to ensure that the case is allowed to eject completely BEFORE any other shells come up in the area near the chamber. So yes, it should be at the bottom. It has been a pretty long time since I worked on mine and I don't have it available to do a function test, but I do know that one of the shell latches is that little teet on the bottom of the front of the carrier. You don't mention a double feed so I highly doubt that has been worn down though.

Tighten up the loading spring though, and that may help you out.

#9 Sailor Dicky Re: Problem with my Marlin 30-30

Sailor Dicky

I need to post more.

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 18 May 2009 - 09:27 AM

Thanks alot SBH, I'll have to try that out when I get home.