Sign in to follow this  
Admin

Spike's Tactical .22 Caliber Conversion Review

Admin    40

Spike's Tactical .22 Caliber Conversion Review

I purchased a Spike's Tactical .22 Conversion for my custom AR-15 build. The customer service from Spike's that I have received was horrible. I was expecting a terrible product but I was pleasantly suprised by the fit and function of the conversion. The unit plus shipping/handling was around $210.00.

Spikes22kit.jpg

The action and function has been flawless. The BDM high capacity magazine is also a great piece of equipment and I highly recommend it.

post-1-1233968605_thumb.jpg

Using dirty Federal .22 LR ammo which my Ruger 10/22 would choke on, the AR-15 ran flawlessly. Just need to get a mag loader for the BDM mag.

I give it 4 out of 4 stars. I would recommend buying it from one of Spike's affiliate dealers though due to the horrible customer service experience. JMHO.

Knight    5

Looks like fun! Do you have any pics of the entire rifle?

w3lk    0

Rather than starting a new thread on it, I guess I'll just bump this one...

What (if anything) makes using a dedicated .22 upper better than using a conversion kit like this?

Is it necessary to use a dedicated barrel for the .22 over .223/5.56? Or can they just as easily be converted by switching the bolt and magazine?

I just bought a DPMS panther last Thursday and I want to be able to safely run .22 through it so that I can shoot it more often (I simply can't afford .50 cents per shell) and enjoy my purchase. Lord knows I put too much money on it to let it sit in the cabinet. I'm just having a hard time understanding why I wouldn't be able to run .22lr through a barrel made to fit a bullet in .22 caliber.

Or am I simply wrong about the idea that .223/5.56 is actually a .22 caliber?

I know 7.62x39 is .30... man I'm so confused...

Admin    40

You can safely and easily use an existing .223 AR-15 upper with the conversion kit. A dedicated upper may have a different twist rate and has a dedicated .22 barrel. If you want a dedicated .22 gun, then the .22 upper is the way to go.

But, if you are like me (cheap) then the kit is the way to go.

w3lk    0

I am definitely cheap.

So running .22 ammo through won't wreck the gun prematurely then. I've been reading around, and I can't find much on the real difference. I'd just like to be able to swap out on occasion.

Admin    40

Nope, just clean the rifle as you normally would. I have encounter zero trouble but I use copper jacketed rounds.

Admin    40
What kind of groups are you getting at what distances, Admin?

Jared

1 inch at 3000 yards usually if its not a windy day.

hickbob    0

I always figured the 22lr would play Hell on the gas system seeing how it is so dirty. That is what has kept me from getting a conversion kit.

I guess I have been wrong. Heh, won't be the first time.

3000 yards huh???

Did you aim strait up??

w3lk    0

I really know quite little of ARs, aside from what I'm learning now that I own one... all of them aren't gas piston?

emclean    23
I really know quite little of ARs, aside from what I'm learning now that I own one... all of them aren't gas piston?

very few are, most are gas inpingement, wich means that the gases are blown directly back from the bbl, to the bolt carror. the front sight assembley also houses the gas block, where the gas is sifened off to operate the weapon.

onlt recently (last years or so) have poston conversions come to the market.

before that if you wanted a piston AR, you got an AR-180

JSheaHawk    29

If you are familiar with the AK, that's a gas piston system.

Jared

1shootist    0

Is that spikes conversion stainless?.....it looks it and looks almost the same as ceiner kits.....I have three ceiner kits one is getting old.....will the spikes tactical fit the same if anyone is familiar with both..

Does the m16 version use the anti bounce and trip like ceiner does...are they included.".

Thanks,1shootist