24 replies to this topic

#1 Samsmodel29

Samsmodel29

We Don't Need No Stinking Badges

• Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 20 January 2004 - 06:21 PM

.44 Magnum Lever Action.

I have decided i am fond of the idea of the Marlin 1894SS to match my S&W 629 to hunt deer with where I will not be taking long shots. Not to mention it just sounds like a cool pair to have.

Does anyone know what kind of range/ballistics to expect from the rifle firing pistol ammo?

Sam

#2 Buckshot Bob Re: .44 Magnum Lever Action.

Buckshot Bob

Self Defense A Basic Human Right

• Members
  • 873 posts

Posted 22 January 2004 - 10:38 PM

Hey Sam,
Don't have a Marlin, but a Win. trapper in .44 mag. Nice little rifle. One of my favorites.
Haven't shot a deer with it yet. Use it mainly for pre season scouting. When I'm just out walking around the woods.
I feel peeps are a must on my rifle. First thing I put on it.
Nice thing is you can use about any type load in them. The little autos like only full power, jacketed rounds to function properly.
125 yds. is about all the range your going to get out of it. Then your dropping 8 to 10 in. different ammo will have different traj.
A fairly hot rd. from a pistol, say 1300 fps. will be going in the 1600 fps. range in a 16 in. barrel.
Not bad for a pistol cartridge pushing 240 gr's.
Gotta get some 300 gr. hard cast one of these days. :D

#3 Samsmodel29 Re: .44 Magnum Lever Action.

Samsmodel29

• Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 22 January 2004 - 11:01 PM

Thanks Bob!

I figured the limits of the rifle to be in the 100 yard range. I'll probably zero it to 50 yards and try my luck there.

I agree about peeps. Much easier to gain a quick sight picture.

#4 grayfox Re: .44 Magnum Lever Action.

grayfox

RKI#4

• Senior Moderator
  • 4,644 posts

Posted 23 January 2004 - 09:22 AM

Hey Sam,
The wife has marlin 44mag and likes it for woods hunting. Last deer taken with it was at the green swamp in fla, but it did the job. :D

#5 Samsmodel29 Re: .44 Magnum Lever Action.

Samsmodel29

• Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 23 January 2004 - 09:44 AM

Hey Sam,
The wife has marlin 44mag

Are you trying to tell me this is a girls gun? J> D>

Thanks, I figure I'll try it in thick woodland areas where shots are close anyway. Typical for around these here parts.

#6 beretta/lover Re: .44 Magnum Lever Action.

beretta/lover

Lurker

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 24 June 2004 - 10:05 AM

I took 2 whitetails in MI last yr with my Marlin 1894S .44 lever action. one at 75yrds and the other at 110 yrds I I'm betting its a great gun up to about 130 yrds. I put a 3x9 scope on it and feel very confident within 125 yrds for a single shot kill.

#7 BrowningBDA Re: .44 Magnum Lever Action.

BrowningBDA

RKI#1

• Veteran Member
  • 14,457 posts

Posted 24 June 2004 - 02:48 PM

Hey Beretta... whereabouts are you???

I'm in Michigan too.... and when I hunt in texas (pig & deer) I use a Marlin lever action in .44 mag too... great thumper gun!

#8 surbat6 Re: .44 Magnum Lever Action.

surbat6

RKI #8

• Members
  • 2,209 posts

Posted 24 June 2004 - 06:36 PM

Ruger Super Blackhawk and a pre-safety Marlin 1894 ok>

#9 JohnDeaux22 Re: .44 Magnum Lever Action.

JohnDeaux22

Scout

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 27 February 2005 - 01:48 AM

I have a Henry Big Boy in .44mag and could not be more pleased with it. I saw it at the gun store and had to have it because it had such a smooth action, and it didn't hurt that it is an absolutely beautiful gun as well. Shooting this gun is very enjoyable as well, and it hits where you point it. Henry also has excellent customer service, and stands behind their product 100%.

#10 GIJoe191990 Re: .44 Magnum Lever Action.

GIJoe191990

Self-Defense Is A Right, Not A Privilege

• Members
  • 351 posts

Posted 27 February 2005 - 03:38 AM

how's .44 for hunting deer??? it seems a lot of people use it....

#11 surbat6 Re: .44 Magnum Lever Action.

surbat6

RKI #8

• Members
  • 2,209 posts

Posted 27 February 2005 - 08:29 AM

The .44's excellent for deer within the limits of the cartridge (don't stretch it much past 100 yards). Otherwise, the only limitation is the range you can consistantly hit a deer's vitals.

#12 warlock Re: .44 Magnum Lever Action.

warlock

Never Had A Date -- With a Girl

• Veteran Member
  • 6,505 posts

Posted 27 February 2005 - 08:51 AM

Hey Sam,
Don't have a Marlin, but a Win. trapper in .44 mag. Nice little rifle. One of my favorites.
Haven't shot a deer with it yet. Use it mainly for pre season scouting. When I'm just out walking around the woods.
I feel peeps are a must on my rifle. First thing I put on it.
Nice thing is you can use about any type load in them. The little autos like only full power, jacketed roundsĀ  to function properly.
125 yds. is about all the range your going to get out of it. Then your dropping 8 to 10 in. different ammo will have different traj.
A fairly hot rd. from a pistol, say 1300 fps. will be going in the 1600 fps. range in a 16 in. barrel.
Not bad for a pistol cartridge pushing 240 gr's.
Gotta get some 300 gr. hard cast one of these days. :D

View Post

Yep...well put.

In fact winchester is coming out with a new 44 mag that I'm really checking out...its called the winchester timber scout. It's a 44 mag lever action based off of the winchester 450 marlin action with ghost ring sights(they're quite nice). Its a short and fast little gun for close encounters. With the right ammo and good shooting you could take a griz with it. Its an update from their current model trapper in the 44.

I agree with bob...although I think 300 fps could be a conservative estimate. Consider the 44 heavy mag Buffalbore out of my superredhawk was a 340 grain super hardcast lead @ 1500 fps. Shooting that out of an 18 in barrel...your looking at approx 1800 fps. Now your beginning to approach rifle ballistics with a handgun round...although the shape of the round is beginning to limit its usefulness and effectiveness out past the 100 yard range.

It is possible to make kills past 100 yards with the 44(even my superredhawk can do it with optics out to 100 yards)...but now your talking using specialty ammo such as garret hammerheads or buffalobore heavy ammo. You also must take into consideration the rainbow trajectory of this round shooting it to that distance...the 340 grain bullet can still retain quite a bit of stopping power even when slowing down considerably. Is it the best bullet for 100-200 yard kills? No...but it can be done...consistantly by a good shooter with quality ammo. I'm a fan of using ammo that has the ability to interchange from handgun to rifle(consider the 5.7)

Just make sure your winchester action can handle it....the 44 mag heavy ammo generates over 40,000 psi within your firearm...this is greater than what many high powered rifles generate. We are obviously pushing the envelope with the 44...so caution is in order.

You also want to consider twist rates. the unfortunate fact is that while I prefer the marlin 44(their action is more robust and able to withstand much more)....their barrel twist rate for the 44 mag(1/38) lever action is far too slow to accomodate the larger more favorable 44 mag bullets available(300+ grains). This basically translates into the fact that this gun will not be able to stabilize those larger rounds adaquetly...and unless you plan on getting it rebarrelled...look elsewhere. The winchester uses a much more balanced twist rate of 1/26. Marlin is losing most of their business on the 44 mag due to this fact. They have yet to realize their mistep. In the meantime...winchester will be getting my business.

Hope this helps!

:c)l:

Edited by warlock, 27 February 2005 - 09:12 AM.

#13 BrowningBDA Re: .44 Magnum Lever Action.

BrowningBDA

RKI#1

• Veteran Member
  • 14,457 posts

Posted 27 February 2005 - 01:47 PM

Just remember fellas.... folks in the 1880's were making kills on game with .44-40's & .45-70's with alot less "ummph" behind them. But the bullets were also good penetrators at range... and the men making those shots were accurate.. they had to be.. they were doing it to survive.

If you miss your deer.. you can buy a big mac on the way home. If they missed their deer.. they starved.

Warlock is right in that you have to use a bullet designed for taking down game at range.... and you also have to accept that most guns chambered for these rounds are not "tack drivers" at long distance... thus the range considerations. Your bullet may have enough juice to kill the animal at long range. It can probably still kill at 500 yards. HOWEVER... if you can't put that bullet where you want it to go, every time, past 100 yards.. then regardless of ballistics, you should limit your range to what your rifle is capable of hitting.

I know guys I wouldn't trust to kill a deer at 50 yards, with their scoped 30-06!! I also know guys who could take deer at 200 yards with their .30-30.

Know your limitations... thats all I'm saying! If its works for you.. awesome...

#14 jammer2k Re: .44 Magnum Lever Action.

jammer2k

Armed Citizens Prevented 6850 Violent Crimes Today

• Members
  • 757 posts

Posted 06 June 2005 - 11:13 PM

Ok, so from what I am hearing the Marlin has problems and the Winchester is good... how about the Henry? How does it compare to the Winchester?

#15 warlock Re: .44 Magnum Lever Action.

warlock

• Veteran Member
  • 6,505 posts

Posted 07 June 2005 - 09:23 AM

Actually marlin is better in almost every sense except for the twist rate on their barrels. Their action is tougher and more robust...the guns are more solidly built. But only having a 1/38 twist rate will restrict you from using the heavier bullets available for this gun. Slow and heavy is the way the 44 mag was supposed to be. You should be shooting 300 grainers out of this gun...and anything getting his withing a 100 yards is going to get floored by this sledgehammer. But a 1/38 twist will not be able to properly stabilize such a bullet. Your accuracy will suffer. And if your going to hunt dangerous game...you need to be able to hit what your aiming at.

The timber scout by winchester would be my choice. It's small..compact...it has ghost ring sights...and the perfect twist rate of 1/14. This will accomidate the usage of the best hunting rounds for the 44 mag...which are generally the large superhard cast lead. I also has a nice set of ghost ring sights...which are among the best open sights you can have IMO> You may have a difficult time finding it though...because most winchester dealers will want to sell off their existing stock before carrying this new model. I see the gun listed on winchesters websight...but not a single listing on gunbroker.

The only other option is getting the marlin rebarrelled. Not sure as to the cost of this.

The nice thing is...ballistically...hot 44 mag rounds out of a rifle will almost be identical to the ballistics of the 444 marlin. This can take down all but the largest game reliably within 100 yards with a well-placed shot.

ok>

Edited by warlock, 07 June 2005 - 09:31 AM.

#16 warlock Re: .44 Magnum Lever Action.

warlock

• Veteran Member
  • 6,505 posts

Posted 07 June 2005 - 10:40 AM

Here's a pic of the timber scout from winchesters website.

Posted Image

#17 datsgor Re: .44 Magnum Lever Action.

datsgor

I need to post more.

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 04 September 2005 - 10:48 PM

QUOTE(Samsmodel29 @ Jan 20 2004, 03:21 PM)
I have decided i am fond of the idea of the Marlin 1894SS to match my S&W 629 to hunt deer with where I will not be taking long shots. Not to mention it just sounds like a cool pair to have.

Does anyone know what kind of range/ballistics to expect from the rifle firing pistol ammo?

Sam

View Post

Yep, it is a cool pair, I got a 629 and the Winchester .44 Trails End. I just love em.
John

#18 pbc heyzeus Re: .44 Magnum Lever Action.

pbc heyzeus

SKS Rifle Fiend

• Members
  • 118 posts

Posted 20 September 2005 - 10:49 PM

Out of lyman's 48th edition the rifle ballistics for a 44 mag round are as such:

200 grain std load 1603 fps
200 grain hot load 2129 fps

225 grain std load 1349 fps
225 grain hot load 1871 fps

240 grain std load 1310 fps
240 grain hot load 1745 fps

265 grain std load 1253 fps
265 grain hot load 1652 fps

These figures are from the least to the most. There are lots of inbetweens.As a comparison a 30/30
at 170 grains is:

170 grain std load 1708 fps
170 grain hot load 2256 fps

This being the heavest bullet my manuel shows for a 30/30.

If you work out the math the 44 mag has alot of umph.

#19 BrowningBDA Re: .44 Magnum Lever Action.

BrowningBDA

RKI#1

• Veteran Member
  • 14,457 posts

Posted 21 September 2005 - 08:09 AM

Oh yes it does... I agree.

Me & My father used to play around after a hog hunt.. him with his 30/30.. me with a Marlin .44 mag lever gun.... and that .44 would make a statement!!

#20 yotestalker Re: .44 Magnum Lever Action.

yotestalker

Reloaded ammo is dirty

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 21 December 2005 - 11:37 PM

So fellows, how does the 44 mag stack up against a 30/30. Both being lever actions, of couse. Pros , Cons, price?

#21 hickbob Re: .44 Magnum Lever Action.

hickbob

Colt 1928 Navy Overstamp

• Members
  • 589 posts

Posted 23 December 2005 - 12:06 AM

I myself, like the .44 mag over the 30-30......But i love my lever-action .444 over both of them.

#22 surbat6 Re: .44 Magnum Lever Action.

surbat6

RKI #8

• Members
  • 2,209 posts

Posted 23 December 2005 - 08:41 AM

QUOTE(yotestalker @ Dec 21 2005, 11:37 PM) View Post

So fellows, how does the 44 mag stack up against a 30/30. Both being lever actions, of couse. Pros , Cons, price?

Not too much difference between the two in effective range (main limitation is the inherent accuracy of a lever action, rather than velocity or bullet diameter). As to price, you can probably find examples of either at comparable prices if you shop around, especially on the "used" racks at the local dealers. The .44, being a shorter cartridge, will give you a larger magazine capacity for the same length gun (this should NOT be a major consideration for a hunting rifle!). Rifles designed for pistol-length cartridges also have slightly shorter receivers, though the actual difference in length and weight (IMO) is not great. My personal solution was to get one of each!

#23 Woodeckt Re: .44 Magnum Lever Action.

Woodeckt

Lookie Lou

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 15 October 2006 - 11:50 PM

I just got a Big Boy Henry .44 from my loving wife for my birthday/Chirstmas this year to take with me deer hunting. I took it out this weekend and was shooting very nice groups using Fusion ammunition. It shoots like a dream I cannot wait for gun season to start. Take a look at the Henry http://henryrepeating.com/bigboy.cfm

#24 BrowningBDA Re: .44 Magnum Lever Action.

BrowningBDA

RKI#1

• Veteran Member
  • 14,457 posts

Posted 16 October 2006 - 09:04 AM

Welcome to the forum...

Several members here have & love the Henry.. sounds like you're in for a great hunting season...

#25 warlock Re: .44 Magnum Lever Action.

warlock

• Veteran Member
  • 6,505 posts

Posted 16 October 2006 - 11:40 AM

QUOTE(Woodeckt @ Oct 16 2006, 12:50 AM) View Post

I just got a Big Boy Henry .44 from my loving wife for my birthday/Chirstmas this year to take with me deer hunting. I took it out this weekend and was shooting very nice groups using Fusion ammunition. It shoots like a dream I cannot wait for gun season to start. Take a look at the Henry http://henryrepeating.com/bigboy.cfm

I have a big boy in 44 as well. I've had excellent results with Doubletap ammo. For me, with optics...it is capable of 1MOA accuracy from the bench with optics and the right ammo. The only issue I've had is the unorthodox scope mount system they ship with their rifles...it has forced me to shim the scope to get the necessary rise at 100 yards. Otherwise I've very pleased with the rifle. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it over marlin or winchester.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: .44 magnum, lever action