• Create Account

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Receiver/Scope Mount for SKS....discussion

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
19 replies to this topic

#1 Black B15

Black B15

Bang Bang Shoot Shoot

• Members
  • 86 posts

Posted 06 January 2009 - 11:56 AM

So I know most think that the receiver/scope mount for the SKS is crappy. It is because there is too much play and the receiver wants to lean side to side. Think of what would happen after you busted a few rounds off.

Now...i had the same issue. Mounted a scope to my SKS with a receiver cover/scope mount. I noticed immediately that I could move the scope and receiver from side to side about 1/8 of an inch or more. I thought THAT is why people say these are crappy! LOL!

So I went back to the paperwork that came with the scope mount and I found this document that the puppy had used as a chew toy. Most of it was destroyed but I saw this one paragraph that caught my eye. It was stating to bend out one of the tabs on the receiver cover to allow for a more snug fit. Interesting.....

So I went and took the receiver cover off and bent one of these tabs the SMALLEST amount. When I reinstalled i noticed it was MUCH better but not perfect. Took it off and slightly bent the other tab. RE-installed the receiver cover and what a difference. The scope/receiver cannot even budge now. It is such a tight fit, and everything fits works like it should.

I just wanted to share because I know there is a bad stigma about these type of scope mounts for the SKS. I haven't had a chance to put any rounds through the gun after this, but that is because i just did it last night! I will try to give an update on the scope and mount, and if i can retain zero shot after shot.

#2 Knight Re: Receiver/Scope Mount for SKS....discussion

Knight

Love Boat Reject

• Members
  • 3,602 posts

Posted 06 January 2009 - 07:33 PM

The mount I have for mine is simply built to fit tightly - and I mean really tight. That's all well and good, but it makes it very difficult to remove it again. The tab system sounds like a slightly better idea, at least. Where did you get yours?

#3 Black B15 Re: Receiver/Scope Mount for SKS....discussion

Black B15

Bang Bang Shoot Shoot

• Members
  • 86 posts

Posted 06 January 2009 - 08:21 PM

QUOTE (Knight @ Jan 6 2009, 08:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The mount I have for mine is simply built to fit tightly - and I mean really tight. That's all well and good, but it makes it very difficult to remove it again. The tab system sounds like a slightly better idea, at least. Where did you get yours?

It was an ebay special! NcStar is the brand.

To help you out....they say that SOME may need to grind off a very small amount of metal here. Just make sure you maintain that same angle when you grind it down. I have circled where it sounds like you need to shave off some metal.

#4 Knight Re: Receiver/Scope Mount for SKS....discussion

Knight

Love Boat Reject

• Members
  • 3,602 posts

Posted 06 January 2009 - 11:28 PM

It's actually the receiver cover pin hole on mine that's ridiculously tight. I believe mine was made by Leapers.

I've heard good things about NcStar in the paintball world, but not so much regarding firearms. Looking forward to your report on how well it works.

Also, what scope and stock set are you using, out of curiosity?

#5 Black B15 Re: Receiver/Scope Mount for SKS....discussion

Black B15

Bang Bang Shoot Shoot

• Members
  • 86 posts

Posted 07 January 2009 - 11:17 AM

QUOTE (Knight @ Jan 7 2009, 12:28 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It's actually the receiver cover pin hole on mine that's ridiculously tight. I believe mine was made by Leapers.

I've heard good things about NcStar in the paintball world, but not so much regarding firearms. Looking forward to your report on how well it works.

Ohh, i got ya.

I actually went with an NCSTAR scope and a ATI monte carlo stock. It looks like the tapco muzzle brake and the tapco gas piston are going to be here today, so that makes me pretty happy.

#6 jack007 Re: Receiver/Scope Mount for SKS....discussion

jack007

Rangers Lead the Way

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 08 January 2009 - 08:08 PM

I to have the receiver mount and when it is properly installed it works fine ( at least for the last year or so) . I think many of them were used out of the box without any adjusting and did work well and the bad reputation was born.

#7 BrowningBDA Re: Receiver/Scope Mount for SKS....discussion

BrowningBDA

RKI#1

• Veteran Member
  • 14,457 posts

Posted 08 January 2009 - 11:09 PM

They dont have so much of a bad rep.... as expectations of high dollar performance in guns that just aren't capable of that sort of accuracy.

The mounts are solid, good units.. and a bit of hand fitting is normal for them.

the issue is that many of the rifles, themselves, as well as the ammo loads (which were never designed for high accuracy) are just not tack drivers. Some folks expect that if they mount a scope... the rifle should shoot like a laser. When it doesn't happen... they blame the mount.. the scope... ect..

Knight... your pin is tight because the metal at the front is a bit long. If you remove a bit of metal where he shows above, the mount will have the few thousands of an inch to move forward, thus giving your pin the play it needs to fitting easier.

You play paintball too right? I thought so.. we've talked about it before. I wish you were closer.. we have a nice milsim woodsball game planned of the 17th.

#8 Knight Re: Receiver/Scope Mount for SKS....discussion

Knight

Love Boat Reject

• Members
  • 3,602 posts

Posted 08 January 2009 - 11:43 PM

QUOTE (BrowningBDA @ Jan 8 2009, 08:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Knight... your pin is tight because the metal at the front is a bit long. If you remove a bit of metal where he shows above, the mount will have the few thousands of an inch to move forward, thus giving your pin the play it needs to fitting easier.

You play paintball too right? I thought so.. we've talked about it before. I wish you were closer.. we have a nice milsim woodsball game planned of the 17th.

Oh. Well, there you go then. biggrindunce.gif

Used to play, don't really play much any more. I'd definitely dust off my old marker to play with you guys though. cool.gif

#9 BrowningBDA Re: Receiver/Scope Mount for SKS....discussion

BrowningBDA

RKI#1

• Veteran Member
  • 14,457 posts

Posted 09 January 2009 - 12:35 AM

We dont get stupid.. just have a lot of fun. We have a local field for the day... about 20 acres, several villages & bunkers.. and lots of woods & stream beds. Right now, its just the 5 of us (me, my son, his friend, Jake from WG and my wife's tat apprentice Kyle)... so it'll be a long, but fun day of hunting each other in the cold michigan winter.

#10 jack007 Re: Receiver/Scope Mount for SKS....discussion

jack007

Rangers Lead the Way

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 10 January 2009 - 09:56 PM

QUOTE (jack007 @ Jan 8 2009, 07:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I to have the receiver mount and when it is properly installed it works fine ( at least for the last year or so) . I think many of them were used out of the box without any adjusting and did work well and the bad reputation was born.
did not work well morning.gif

#11 Black B15 Re: Receiver/Scope Mount for SKS....discussion

Black B15

Bang Bang Shoot Shoot

• Members
  • 86 posts

Posted 15 January 2009 - 08:27 PM

QUOTE (Knight @ Jan 7 2009, 12:28 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

So I got a chance to put some rounds through the SKS. I had worked on the receiver to make sure it didn't move AT ALL with the scope on. I thought it would be fine! Dialed the scope in and BLAM...hit exactly what I was aiming for. NICE....then the second shot, about 2 inches off. I knew right away. I grabbed the scope/receiver mount and it moved side to side about 1/8 inch. Enough to make a difference when shooting.

Tonight I get to tear it down again to make sure she is clean, and then try to work on the receiver cover some more in hopes to stop it from moving. I have already installed a recoil buffer, in hopes to not bang on the receiver any more than i have to.

I will keep you up to date with the outcome of the scope/receiver deal.

#12 BrowningBDA Re: Receiver/Scope Mount for SKS....discussion

BrowningBDA

RKI#1

• Veteran Member
  • 14,457 posts

Posted 16 January 2009 - 12:50 PM

One thing to look at bud is whether the bolt carrier is impacting the inside top edge of receiver cover. Those dimensions are tight, and when the bolt carrier recoils.. it may be impacting the top inside edge of the cover... not the back. Its normal for these to need some material removed from the inside top to allow plenty of clearance for the bolt to retract rearward without making contact. a Dremel and sanding drum would take care of that in a minute.

The recoil buffer "may" help..but honestly, these are made like tanks, and meant to shoot after being sotred in a rice paddy for a year! heheh... seriously though, the main issue is to make sure the inside, top edge has plenty of clearance. If the bolt hits this during recoil, its going to beat that receiver cover out of the way... thus loosening it.

#13 Black B15 Re: Receiver/Scope Mount for SKS....discussion

Black B15

Bang Bang Shoot Shoot

• Members
  • 86 posts

Posted 16 January 2009 - 07:17 PM

QUOTE (BrowningBDA @ Jan 16 2009, 12:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
One thing to look at bud is whether the bolt carrier is impacting the inside top edge of receiver cover. Those dimensions are tight, and when the bolt carrier recoils.. it may be impacting the top inside edge of the cover... not the back. Its normal for these to need some material removed from the inside top to allow plenty of clearance for the bolt to retract rearward without making contact. a Dremel and sanding drum would take care of that in a minute.

The recoil buffer "may" help..but honestly, these are made like tanks, and meant to shoot after being sotred in a rice paddy for a year! heheh... seriously though, the main issue is to make sure the inside, top edge has plenty of clearance. If the bolt hits this during recoil, its going to beat that receiver cover out of the way... thus loosening it.

I appreciate the input man! If I recall before I shot it yesterday, that bolt carrier was definitely rubbing directly onto the inside of the receiver. When I re-adjusted it last night I think I got it right. I went and looked at it right now and there is a good 1/16 to 1/32 of an inch clearance between the top edge of the receiver cover and where the bolt carrier slides under it.

I am HOPING that I have it setup right this time. It is kind of trial and error, and just like you said....as soon as I pull the trigger all kinds of things want to move around.

Again I appreciate the info!

#14 Black B15 Re: Receiver/Scope Mount for SKS....discussion

Black B15

Bang Bang Shoot Shoot

• Members
  • 86 posts

Posted 28 March 2009 - 07:14 PM

Just thought I would revisit this thread....

I have had the scope mount on my gun for awhile now. I love the fact that I can remove the receiver cover/scope mount/scope for cleaning and when I put it back on the scope is still zeroed in. Although I have created my own device that does NOT allow the cover to move when the action does. I can't go into details, as I am trying to sell the product to a larger company, but I can say for sure that if I have MY way......getting a receiver cover/scope mount to hold zero on an SKS will be no problems!

I will keep you guys updated with what I find out.

#15 macman Re: Receiver/Scope Mount for SKS....discussion

macman

King of the Battlefield

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 01 April 2009 - 10:40 AM

I have a Chinese SKS, and bought and mounted the UTG brand of Gas tube cover mount. I had to grind down the 2 front tails, and it fits with so tightly, that I had to apply some oil to the rear pin and tap it in. I tightened down the outer anchor bolts, zero'ed the scope last weekend after about 5 shots, and I have no play in the mount and it held zero.

I am selling a UTG Picatinny mount for the SKS.
Kyle

#16 Black B15 Re: Receiver/Scope Mount for SKS....discussion

Black B15

Bang Bang Shoot Shoot

• Members
  • 86 posts

Posted 01 April 2009 - 03:23 PM

QUOTE (macman @ Apr 1 2009, 10:40 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I have a Chinese SKS, and bought and mounted the UTG brand of Gas tube cover mount. I had to grind down the 2 front tails, and it fits with so tightly, that I had to apply some oil to the rear pin and tap it in. I tightened down the outer anchor bolts, zero'ed the scope last weekend after about 5 shots, and I have no play in the mount and it held zero.

I am selling a UTG Picatinny mount for the SKS.
Kyle

I thought the same thing with mine. It was VERY tigth when installed. After about 200 rds I could move it back and forth about 1/8".

I actually called and spoke with a company about my concept for stabilizing the scope mount/receiver cover. They are very interested! I will keep you guys up to date with what they say.

#17 Knight Re: Receiver/Scope Mount for SKS....discussion

Knight

Love Boat Reject

• Members
  • 3,602 posts

Posted 01 April 2009 - 06:08 PM

Sounds cool! Definitely keep us updated.

#18 macman Re: Receiver/Scope Mount for SKS....discussion

macman

King of the Battlefield

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 03 April 2009 - 01:22 AM

QUOTE (Black B15 @ Apr 1 2009, 03:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I thought the same thing with mine. It was VERY tigth when installed. After about 200 rds I could move it back and forth about 1/8".

I actually called and spoke with a company about my concept for stabilizing the scope mount/receiver cover. They are very interested! I will keep you guys up to date with what they say.

I put about 80 rounds through it, and it still won't move. Now, when they suggested to file down the front lips, I took the lips down just enough, so the rear lock pin had to be tapped in with a hammer, and I mean tapped!!.
Now, I also tightened the four outer anchor bolts also.

I am afraid to take it off now, I might loose the zero. But that just means another trip out to shot.

With that said. Does anyone have a suggestion as to a scope brand/model that could be mounted Scout Style?

#19 Black B15 Re: Receiver/Scope Mount for SKS....discussion

Black B15

Bang Bang Shoot Shoot

• Members
  • 86 posts

Posted 28 June 2009 - 01:36 PM

QUOTE (Knight @ Apr 1 2009, 06:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Sounds cool! Definitely keep us updated.

After three months and still no feedback from NcStar.

I am going to start producing and selling these myself. This uses similiar thinking as the "accu-wedge" for the AR platform. I am calling this an "accu-clip" (patent pending) and I will be hand producing these as need dictates or at least until a larger company buys the idea and starts mass producing them.

This is to be used on a receiver cover scope mount, and removes almost ALL wiggle/play between the receiver and receiver cover. You will get the best results if you use a recoil buffer as well as this accu clip.

For now I am selling these for $10 shipped, which will include the Accu Clip and instructions. THIS IS THE FIRST BATCH OF THESE BEING PRODUCED.....to my knowledge there are NO other products similiar to this for the SKS receiver cover scope mounts. Here are a few pictures....

You can paypal the $10 to me at scotty2208@gmail.com, just please include your address and make sure NOT to mention anything about guns or gun items as Paypal is very anti gun.

#20 Black B15 Re: Receiver/Scope Mount for SKS....discussion

Black B15

Bang Bang Shoot Shoot

• Members
  • 86 posts

Posted 29 June 2009 - 09:00 PM

Here are a few pics of this installed on my SKS.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Gift Ideas - Bulk Ammo Sale