• Create Account

Photo
- - - - -

Ruger Super Blackhawk Hunter

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
16 replies to this topic

#1 Knight

Knight

Love Boat Reject

• Members
  • 3,603 posts

Posted 01 April 2008 - 04:06 PM

I've been entertaining the thought of purchasing a Ruger Super Blackhawk Hunter in .44 Mag for quite some time. Yesterday I was buying ammo for my 1911 and I noticed a used one sitting in the consignment case, in almost new condition, for $549. Today I signed the paperwork and put it on layaway.

For those of you who don't know what they look like:

It also came with a leather holster, however it's a flap holster and it's right-handed. I'll probably just end up selling it.

And yeah, it's a Ruger, I know. But I'll be damned if this gun isn't one of the coolest looking revolvers I've ever seen.

Expect pictures on the 11th, and a range report on the 12th. cool.gif

Edited by Knight, 01 April 2008 - 04:07 PM.

#2 Typeopos Re: Ruger Super Blackhawk Hunter

Typeopos

I support my local stripper

• Members
  • 1,674 posts

Posted 01 April 2008 - 04:39 PM

I agree the ruger single actions are great fun to shoot, ruger's politics and practices aside. I know I love my 22/45, p95 and esp my Super Blackhawk! You will be pleased.

#3 warlock Re: Ruger Super Blackhawk Hunter

warlock

Never Had A Date -- With a Girl

• Veteran Member
  • 6,505 posts

Posted 01 April 2008 - 05:38 PM

Nice, I was one step away from buying that before I opted for the super redhawk. If I could do it all over again, I would probably go with that.

#4 Knight Re: Ruger Super Blackhawk Hunter

Knight

Love Boat Reject

• Members
  • 3,603 posts

Posted 01 April 2008 - 07:15 PM

QUOTE(warlock @ Apr 1 2008, 03:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Nice, I was one step away from buying that before I opted for the super redhawk. If I could do it all over again, I would probably go with that.

You could always go with both, you know. devil.gif

I looked into the Super Redhawks as well. They have a unique look all their own, and are probably more practical, however I guessed (correctly) that if I ever got to handle a Super Blackhawk I would fall in love with it. There's just something about single-action revolvers for me. It's like the Mateba Autorevolver; I have this attraction to extravagant weapon designs. This will be my second one, and I still haven't felt the urge yet to buy a double-action revolver.

#5 warlock Re: Ruger Super Blackhawk Hunter

warlock

• Veteran Member
  • 6,505 posts

Posted 01 April 2008 - 08:03 PM

I look at the super blackhawk as being a bit more classy, while as you mentioned, the super redhawk being the more functional of the two.

#6 wilsoncomb@tLacky Re: Ruger Super Blackhawk Hunter

wilsoncomb@tLacky

Loves Arsenal Inc!

• Members
  • 723 posts

Posted 11 April 2008 - 12:04 AM

Its a beautifull revy but i just cant shoot mine accurately. Fyi dont tighten the bolt infront of the trigger on the guard too much, took me a while to figure out y my cylinder wouldnt move.

Dont think i should have admitted to that.

#7 Knight Re: Ruger Super Blackhawk Hunter

Knight

Love Boat Reject

• Members
  • 3,603 posts

Posted 11 April 2008 - 03:25 AM

QUOTE(wilsoncomb@tLacky @ Apr 10 2008, 10:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Its a beautifull revy but i just cant shoot mine accurately. Fyi dont tighten the bolt infront of the trigger on the guard too much, took me a while to figure out y my cylinder wouldnt move.

Dont think i should have admitted to that.

I'm glad you did. I'll watch out for it. As for shooting it accurately, did you scope yours? I'm still debating about it.

Pics tomorrow!

#8 wilsoncomb@tLacky Re: Ruger Super Blackhawk Hunter

wilsoncomb@tLacky

Loves Arsenal Inc!

• Members
  • 723 posts

Posted 11 April 2008 - 12:23 PM

No scope, the accuracy is all me.

first time i shot i didnt use hearing protection, kinda put the fear in me.

#9 Knight Re: Ruger Super Blackhawk Hunter

Knight

Love Boat Reject

• Members
  • 3,603 posts

Posted 11 April 2008 - 04:33 PM

Pictures:

#10 Tube Re: Ruger Super Blackhawk Hunter

Tube

Silly Sniper

• Veteran Member
  • 5,214 posts

Posted 12 April 2008 - 08:14 AM

That is one sharp revolver. Congrats!

#11 wilsoncomb@tLacky Re: Ruger Super Blackhawk Hunter

wilsoncomb@tLacky

Loves Arsenal Inc!

• Members
  • 723 posts

Posted 12 April 2008 - 05:27 PM

Can I get pic with her in the holster. I may be interested in the holster if you decide to sell it.

#12 Knight Re: Ruger Super Blackhawk Hunter

Knight

Love Boat Reject

• Members
  • 3,603 posts

Posted 12 April 2008 - 06:13 PM

Holy crap. I can't believe how much fun this gun is to shoot. I had a huge grin on my face the whole time I was shooting it. Now I understand why people love these big-caliber monsters. I can't wait to buy some really hot loads and try them out.

My dad tagged along with me for the range trip. We only shot about 25 rounds, as a 50-round box cost me $50 (!!!!). We were shooting shotgun shells at 20-25 yards no problem. Well, he had no problem - I was more hit or miss, but I could tell that I was pulling every once in awhile slightly to the right. I had the same problem when I first started shooting my 1911. The trigger pull was also a little on the heavy side for a single-action, but thankfully Ruger single-action triggers are easy to lighten the pull on.

All in all, I'm pretty sure that I have a new favorite gun for the time being. If only the ammo wasn't so darn expensive . . .

QUOTE(wilsoncomb@tLacky @ Apr 12 2008, 03:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Can I get pic with her in the holster. I may be interested in the holster if you decide to sell it.

Certainly.

And yes, I would be willing to sell it.

#13 BrowningBDA Re: Ruger Super Blackhawk Hunter

BrowningBDA

RKI#1

• Veteran Member
  • 14,457 posts

Posted 13 April 2008 - 08:49 AM

$$50 a BOX???? Holy sh*t dude... order some online!!

I love to shoot .44 mag... and I got real pissed when it hit $39 in my area, but I can still nab it for $24 a box at the gun shows.. and when that fails, get it in bulk online for about $25 to $30.

Get gun though.... shooting .44 is a lot of fun... and something about this round is just ACCURATE... BC or some such. Every quality .44 I've owned would shoot dead on... out to long range. Heck.. I even fired it in a rifle e match we had here years back... a 5" S&W!

#14 warlock Re: Ruger Super Blackhawk Hunter

warlock

• Veteran Member
  • 6,505 posts

Posted 13 April 2008 - 09:00 AM

Yep 50 bucks a box...you got ripped off bro.

#15 Knight Re: Ruger Super Blackhawk Hunter

Knight

Love Boat Reject

• Members
  • 3,603 posts

Posted 13 April 2008 - 02:50 PM

And the real clincher? It was a box of American Eagle. eyepop.gif Probably should have ordered some ammo while I was waiting for the DROS, but I didn't think it would be that expensive!

Probably should have seen it coming, though. Price of ammo here locally has more or less always been that way, especially for the bigger calibers. Don't worry, I plan on securing some other ammo source in the future.

#16 BrowningBDA Re: Ruger Super Blackhawk Hunter

BrowningBDA

RKI#1

• Veteran Member
  • 14,457 posts

Posted 13 April 2008 - 02:55 PM

Yeah.... American eagle here is like $22 to $25 a box at the shows.... and all the retailers are $29 to $39 for ammo in stores now. Gotta scrounge! heheh

Edited by BrowningBDA, 13 April 2008 - 02:56 PM.

#17 Knight Re: Ruger Super Blackhawk Hunter

Knight

Love Boat Reject

• Members
  • 3,603 posts

Posted 17 April 2008 - 03:02 PM

Just an update - did the Poor Man's Trigger Job, now the trigger is amazingly lighter and smoother than before. The best part is, it's reversible, though I don't know if I'd want to change it back.

I think I'll go shooting again today and finish the rip-off box to test the new trigger out cool.gif

Gift Ideas - Bulk Ammo Sale