• Create Account

Photo
- - - - -

Building your own AR-10

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic

#1 SeanMiller

SeanMiller

My Gun is Bigger

• Members
  • 1,786 posts

Posted 07 March 2008 - 02:07 PM

Hey guys,

So Ive been wracking my brain trying to figure out what I want my next rifle to be. See, Im in love with the .308 round. 556 is nice, and Im sure it gets the job done, but theres just something about the bigger bang. Anyway, I also love leggo guns. Anything that has parts that can be upgraded, modified, improved, ect is right up my alley. Ive played with a few AR-10s before, but never shot one.

Anyway, I was looking at Armalite factory guns just to get a baseline. A standard AR-10A4 carbine is $1502. While not steep for a new .308 carbine, its much more than I could afford for some time. Then I figured that I could probably build it for not much more and spread the financial pain out over a longer period and still get a good rifle at the end. All the below prices are straight from the Armalite website:

AR-10 Lower, stripped: $205
AR-10 Parts Kit, complete: $95
AR-10a4 Upper, complete: $748
AR-10 20rd mags: $45ea x3 = $135
Total: $1178

thinker.gif

Did I miss something, or can I build my own for about $500 less than buying a complete rifle? Hell, I could buy all the parts, 3 mags, and 1000rds of amo for the cost of the rifle. My only worry is that all the parts are 'call to order' which either means a backorder (no biggie) or armalite dosent want someone building their own.

Thoughts?

#2 emclean Re: Building your own AR-10

emclean

A True Legend on the Gun Forums

• Veteran Member
  • 11,438 posts

Posted 08 March 2008 - 02:49 PM

My only worry is that all the parts are 'call to order' which either means a backorder (no biggie) or armalite dosent want someone building their own.

or could be parts that they rairly have orders for, so they dont keep them in stock.

Anyway, I also love leggo guns. Anything that has parts that can be upgraded, modified, improved, ect is right up my alley.

i know this has become almost a runnig joke from me, but how about a saiga 308?
simmiler weapon, for less.

#3 Fullmedaljacket8 Re: Building your own AR-10

Fullmedaljacket8

Force and mind are opposites; morality ends where a gun begins

• Veteran Member
  • 3,163 posts

Posted 08 March 2008 - 04:49 PM

G3, FAL?!?!

#4 JSheaHawk Re: Building your own AR-10

JSheaHawk

Board Lifer

• 12,455 posts

Posted 08 March 2008 - 04:56 PM

QUOTE(emclean @ Mar 8 2008, 01:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
i know this has become almost a runnig joke from me, but how about a saiga 308?
simmiler weapon, for less.

I like my Saiga .308, but if you want accuracy, I'd definitely not go with the 16" barrel.

Jared

#5 SBHShooter Re: Building your own AR-10

SBHShooter

WE ALL LIKE

• Veteran Member
  • 4,662 posts

Posted 09 March 2008 - 01:21 AM

That's about how it goes. I don't know how set you are on the Armalite rifle, but looking at other brands may help too. I've used a bit of DPMS stuff, and the parts I've gotten (building my second kit, as I have gotten all my stuff dealer cost plus 5%) have all been good. You may try looking for used rifles from a good brand, just make sure you check them out first.