• Create Account

Photo
- - - - -

Norinco but what model?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
7 replies to this topic

#1 raczzer

raczzer

Lookie Lou

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 12 October 2007 - 09:17 AM

New guy here. I bought a new SKS for $85 at a gun show about 15 years ago. This great site has inspired me to dust off the old cannon and learn more about it. I want to start by identifying what type it is. It has a light blond wood stock and the shorter 16" barrel. The makings on it are Norinco China KSI Pomoma CA and a 7 digit serial number beginning with a 3 and ending with a 89. It has a bayonet lug but came with no bayonet. Years ago I removed the 10 round fixed magazine and bought a few 30 round SKS mags with the duck bill looking top.
My main question is, is this a model D or M that were designed to accept AK mags with no modifications and if so what would be a good brand of AK mag that would be reliable? I'd also like to know what the current value might be here in the mid west and in excelent condition.

#2 Admin Re: Norinco but what model?

Admin

The Decider

• Admin
  • 14,409 posts

Posted 12 October 2007 - 10:03 AM

The original Norinco SKS - D (for detachable) model came with an AK mag not a 10 round mag. It sounds like you have a Norinco SKS 16" with the bayonet removed to be AWB compliant. Value range is currently around $200 to $300.

#3 raczzer Re: Norinco but what model?

raczzer

Lookie Lou

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 12 October 2007 - 03:55 PM

QUOTE(Admin @ Oct 12 2007, 10:03 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The original Norinco SKS - D (for detachable) model came with an AK mag not a 10 round mag. It sounds like you have a Norinco SKS 16" with the bayonet removed to be AWB compliant. Value range is currently around $200 to $300.

Guess I'm a little bummed that sounds like it probably isn't the model intended to receive AK mags. How would I be able to find out for sure? I just want to have a reliable mag set up and it sounds like if it's not a Norinco model SKS-M, SKS-D, or MC-5D then the original stock 10 round fixed mag works the best. Now if I can only remember what I did with that original mag... Anyway I'd still like to be able to positively identify what model it is if anyone can help with the info I've mentioned above.

#4 Fullmedaljacket8 Re: Norinco but what model?

Fullmedaljacket8

Force and mind are opposites; morality ends where a gun begins

• Veteran Member
  • 3,158 posts

Posted 13 October 2007 - 02:11 AM

If you could post a pic it would be a lot eaiser.

#5 raczzer Re: Norinco but what model?

raczzer

Lookie Lou

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 15 October 2007 - 11:59 AM

QUOTE(Fullmedaljacket8 @ Oct 13 2007, 02:11 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If you could post a pic it would be a lot eaiser.

I wish I could post a pic but I'm posting from my work (yes waisting company time) rolleyes.gif
But if there is anyone that might be able to tell me what model Norinco SKS this is I would really appreciate any help. It has a triangle symbol stamped on it with a backwards looking S inside the triangle. It says Norinco China KSI Pomoma CA. It has blonde colored wood. A bayonet lug but no bayonet attached. I also have the serial number written down if that would help. I think it would be pre ban since I bought it about 15 years ago. please.gif

#6 Admin Re: Norinco but what model?

Admin

The Decider

• Admin
  • 14,409 posts

Posted 15 October 2007 - 01:42 PM

QUOTE(raczzer @ Oct 15 2007, 12:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I wish I could post a pic but I'm posting from my work (yes waisting company time) rolleyes.gif
But if there is anyone that might be able to tell me what model Norinco SKS this is I would really appreciate any help. It has a triangle symbol stamped on it with a backwards looking S inside the triangle. It says Norinco China KSI Pomoma CA. It has blonde colored wood. A bayonet lug but no bayonet attached. I also have the serial number written down if that would help. I think it would be pre ban since I bought it about 15 years ago. please.gif

That's the problem. During those days, many variations of Norinco SKS's were entering the country. The original ones imported back in the late 1960's were military surplus. In the 1980's, Norinco specifically made SKS rifles as per importers requests. (Thumbhole stock, AK Mag's, Paratrooper version -- even though there was never such an animal in the Chinese military, Parade SKS's that were hard chromed, etc).

The model you have had the bayonet removed. This was a sporterized version of the SKS. Ity was marketed as a cheaper hunting rifle.

Military SKS has a threaded barrel and milled trigger guard
Commercial model usually has a pinned barrel and stamped trigger guard

Sorry, but that is the best I can do.

#7 Admin Re: Norinco but what model?

Admin

The Decider

• Admin
  • 14,409 posts

Posted 17 October 2007 - 04:33 PM

Here is another great SKS resource site with marking data: http://www.yooperj.com/SKS.htm

#8 paragon50 Re: Norinco but what model?

paragon50

Just Busted My Cherry

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 22 December 2007 - 12:54 AM

let me first say hello to everyone on the boards here.

raczzer, if your carbine had a 10 round fixed it is not a sks-D, sks-M, sporter, type84, MC-5D, NR, sks-63, or original midwest conversion.

K-sport is your importer. without a picture of the factory code (triangle with number in it) and serial number location it would only be useless guesses as to the date and location of mfg.

if it has a screw in barrel, milled trigger group, lightning cuts on bolt, these are common on early sks's. press and pin barrels and stamped trigger groups were more common on later models.

also keep in mind once you use a detachable mag in a fixed mag model chicom there are some legal issues to consider. my own opinion, if you want a detachable mag model buy one of the sks-D, sks-M, sporter, type84, MC-5D, NR, sks-63, or original midwest conversions.

bayonet lug and no bayonet is a gray area. early imports had bayonets mounted. as the laws started to change, in 89 bayonets were made illegal. most importers removed the bayonet and left the lug. late models had the lug removed to qualify as a "sporting rifle".

heres the gray area. if your sks had a bayonet mounted when it was imported it is legal. if you remove it when hunting etc. it is illegal to replace it. heres the gray area....if it was removed for cleaning or to be replaced with one of the same of better quality this is cleaning and repairing. there is no time limit on this.

probably not all the answers you were looking for, hope it helps.

Gift Ideas - Bulk Ammo Sale