Sign in to follow this  
PreBan

What's the difference?

PreBan    0

What's the differences between the 2? I had a Romanian AK47 in Iraq with the fold under butt stock. I have everything except lower receiver and barrel. I want to get another AK, but since I have started reading this forum I see that I need alot of info b4 buying. Any recommendations?

Admin    40

First, Welcome!

1) Determine you budget for an AK. $200 to $400 or $500 to $900 or $1000+

2) If you are looking for a plain jane AK47. Aimsurplus has a Romanian WASR for around $329 plus you get a kit with it.

3) If you want to spend more and get a Romanian that was properly done, Arizona Response Systems does nice work for around $500. As does Vector Arms.

4) A nice Arsenal AK will run you around $800 to $1000

5) But one of the nicest AK47's is the Chinese Polytech Legend milled receiver AK47 at it will set you pack $1200.

Hope that helps.

Tube    5

Welcome Preban!

Do a search on here if you'd like as many have had similar questions.

I searched and came up with two things for you. First a post I made a while back. It's not perfect, but it has some usable general info to get you started:

Most AKs for sale are built from parts kits. Because of import laws complete AKs cannot be imported from other countries. So the receivers of these guns are cut into 3 pieces making the gun inoperable. What's left is legal to import because it is now just a "parts kit" and not a "gun". For the most part import laws do not affect gun parts.

So American companies like Century Arms or Vector take these kits and build complete guns out of them. All they have to do is encorporate enough American made parts (typically the pistol grip, fire control group, and gas pistol) to make them legal American made guns.

The most common and inexpensive guns right now are the WASRs. These are Romanian AK kits that Century arms builds into complete rifles. So while technically American made now, they are refered to as Romanian AKs.

Determining what kind of bayonet you will need will depend on what kind of kit the AK you buy was made out of. For a WASR any Romanian bayonet will work.

According to the Vector website, they build their guns off of Polish parts kits:

Vector has AK-47's, with our excellent quality and 5 yr. warranty. Built from Polish parts along with legally required American parts.

So if you get a new Vector AK, any Polish bayonet should work.

The reason I say new is that during the Assault Weapons Ban (1994-2004) guns with more than 3 "evil" features were banned. Some of these common features included muzzle breaks, pistol grips, high capacity magazines, and bayonet lugs.

So in order to comply with the ban all the American companies building AK's removed enough of the "evil" features necessary to make them legal. The first to go were typically the muzzle break and the bayonet lug because they had the least impact.

I say all of this to explain that plenty of used AKs are floating around that have the bayonet lug ground off, including Vectors and Romanian AKs. These are typically easy to spot because they usually lack a muzzle break too.

Now, as far as what's the difference of say a WASR and a Vector AK? The two main factors are 1 the quality of the kit from which the gun is built, and 2 the quality of the work done in the building process.

Romanian kits are of lesser quality than Polish kits, but more so then that Century arms is notorious for slapping guns together. The guns typically function properly, and the cost is low, but the fit and finnish of the gun will be a little sloppy. For example with many Century AKs the new receiver is refinnished but the rest of the gun is left with the original finnish.

Now with a Vector AK, they start with a Polish kit, which is already better. Then the work that goes into building is typically higher quality. So the gun will "fit" together better, better fire control group parts are used, and the entire gun is typically refinnished instead of simply the receiver.

I haven't said anything about Lancaster in any of this because I'm not familiar with them. However other AKs are available on the market. Another good deal right now is on the Yugo AKs. I believe these are built by Century Arms, but the Yugoslovian parts kits they are made of are certainly superior to Romanian kits. Also the Yugoslovian design encorporates a more robust receiver then you find on a typical AK (Romanian, Polish, Chinese, etc). They are priced above a Romanian AK but (I believe) just under a Vector AK, so they're worth looking into.

Their are certainly more factors that I did not get into here, but this should be enough info to get you going. Sorry for being long winded, but you seemed like you wanted to really understand your different options instead of just getting a simple recomendation.

Also here's a SAR vs WSAR thread I found: LINK

Hope this helps.

Edited by Tube

PreBan    0

Thx 4 all the help. Made contact with a friend at lunch today who just happens to be the Chief of Police, and he turned me onto a Chinese sks, (1) 10 rnd mag, and (1) 30 round mag, 500 rnds 7.62X39 w/ mounted bayonet, sling, wooden stock. Purchased more than 10 years ago. supposedly in excelent shape, less than 500 rounds put thru it. Will meet with him tomorrow 9am to check it out. Asking price $300.00

Good price or not?

Admin    40
Thx 4 all the help. Made contact with a friend at lunch today who just happens to be the Chief of Police, and he turned me onto a Chinese sks, (1) 10 rnd mag, and (1) 30 round mag, 500 rnds 7.62X39 w/ mounted bayonet, sling, wooden stock. Purchased more than 10 years ago. supposedly in excelent shape, less than 500 rounds put thru it. Will meet with him tomorrow 9am to check it out. Asking price $300.00

Good price or not?

Chinese SKS (unknown variant) current market in excellent condition $200 to $250

500 rounds of 7.62x39 (unknown maker) $85 to $90

So, it is not a bad deal. Start at $250 and see if he comes down a bit.