Sign in to follow this  
macshooter

Yugo AK at AIM

I'm sorry.. I misspoke and called you macho (instead of macshooter..).. duh!

Dude.. congrats!! thats great that you snagged the pair. I was thinking of buying another one myself now that I know what others are selling them for. My local gunshop has one on the rack for $459... I got mine a few weeks ago for that, and considered it a good buy compared to the M70 wood stocked version for $449.

I know mine is MUCH heavier in "feel" than the SAR-1... now I know why, as I never really piad attention before, and AK's aren't really my area.

Em.. I wish they had more Saiga's.. but around here, its hard to find one... the shotgun models are all gone, and the 7,62 models are nice, but without pistol grips.

As for transfers... I've found a few folks in my area on those lists that claim to do transfers, but when it comes down to doing the deal, almost always try to get you to buy their stock instead... or bring up some other BS. I finally found a good guy... but it can be hard finding a good transfer guy. If you do, keep him happy.

but it can be hard finding a good transfer guy

that is why i listed a handful. my last 2 transfers have been a pain with the new dealer.

this is going to be a stupid question, why 2?

And here I thought Mac got me a late birthday present!

Congrats man! Since you have 2 I'd be tempted to change the furniture out on one of them. Maybe add some wood hand guards or the black Bulgarian style ones.

I feel you on the transfer thing. A lot of places around here want $35 or 10-20% of the purchase price. Just plain nuts. I finally found this hole in the wall place with almost no guns and it's only open 3 days out of the week, but the guy just charges $10 flat for all transfers. I guess it's pretty much all he does for business since he's the only reasonably priced guy in town.

Thanks for the list Em. Prices are reasonable here in Austin, where I am now, but they suck in out in west Texas, where I will probably be living for the next few years. And yeah I forgot about Saigas. Actually I didn't know the rifles were RPK based too, since I only have a Saiga 12. That's another buy that has turned out well. I saw a used one at the show last weeked for $500.

A note about the finish on these Yugos. I spoke too soon. The American made parts (barrel and reciever on these guns have an enamel finish just like Saiga or VEPR. So watch it with the Hoppes and "harsh" chemical cleaners around on those parts! Use the foam stuff and you will be fine. The yugo other parts are parkerized, so there is nothing to worry about.

Yeah I've seen some wood funiture for these yugos at center fire. I might do that.

I can understand people need to make a profit in order to put food on the table, but these people are trying to put a strangle hold on all gun buyers in the (far west Texas) area. It seems like the fewer guns they sell, the more they jack the prices up, which in turn allows them to sell fewer guns. After doing the math, all the prices in the area I'm going ARE 40% ABOVE RETAIL! (and that's for everything, not just this gun) And they won't do transfers. That's fine with me. They can sit on their inventory until hell freezes over and mark them up 60% if the like! I would like to give them my business, hell guys like me are their bread and butter, but these people are fools. I have a mind to get an FFL as a side gig, and put them all out of business, making 15% on everything.

Edited by macshooter

I cleaned mine with shooters choice... seemed fine. Is there something wrong with the hoppes & such on these Mac?

Yeah, Hoppes is too harsh to use on enamel finishes, because it will dissolve them. Try this. Put a drop of hoppes on the barrel or the reciever of your AK and let it set for about 30 seconds. Then wipe it off with a clean paper towel and look at the towel. This won't be enough to do any real damage to your finish but you will be able to see what "solvent" type chemicals will do to it over time.

I use break free (CLP?) to lube, after I clean. I have been using Outers Foaming Bore Cleaner to clean because it will dissolve copper and powder out of the bore, without dissolving the finish. Enamel finished are tough, (like engine paint) they just don't like harsh chemicals. I wouldn't go spraying brake cleaner on it or anything like that..

Edited by macshooter

Believe me.. I dont ever do that. I've used the foam stuff as well.. its actually great for getting lead out of the cylinders in a revolver to!

I know of folks who claim to use over cleaner.. brake cleaner.. ect... on their guns. Ug.

We also had a client ruin his grips from using something like spray brake cleaner or engine brite on his gun.

macshooter, you should look into getting a FFL, and you would probably get a lot of money for doing transfers for people out that way

I think you might be right. I will look into it soon as I get there.

Edited by macshooter

akm70ab2black8ud.jpg

this looks like the exact gun i just bought the sticker says m70ab2. I paid $519

so did i make a good choice? new to ak's but wanted to get one before a surge for them makes the price go up. also the sticker says it is used althought it looks brand new. is that a legal thing they have to put on the gun because of the re-parting? and should I have a gunsmith check it out before firing? thanks all

What you bought is the exact same gun. That's not a bad price for a new gun, when you factor in transfer, tax and shipping charges. If it is new I'd say you did pretty good. You might could have save $50 if you shopped around long enough, but you didn't get ripped or anything. Even if it is used I think you made a wise choice, AK's are tough as nails, and these will not go down in value, - and if they are banned you will more than make your money back on it, if you choose to part with it. Congrats and enjoy! These are very nice AK's. :okay:

Edited by macshooter

Same as mine.. its a great gun.. and you got it for a good price. Everything Mac said!

thanks,.. hopefully i will be going to shoot it for the first time on sunday. i'm pretty lucky. live in a real populated area but have a gun/rifle indoor range less than 5 miles away. is there anything i should do to the gun before shooting it. first gun i have bought from a gun show and a tag said it was used. but the only thing that looks used are the two 30rd mag

Yup... what he said. Clean it... and look it over while you do.

thanks. well i cleaned it and then took it to the range yesterday.. awesome weapon. never a problem after shooting around 120 rounds. although the barrel did get quite hot compared to my stag ar-15. i think it was pretty accurate

this is going to be a stupid question, why 2? I KNOW YOU CAN NEVER HAVE ENOUGH!!! But is it because they are just that sweet or is it fear of an assault ban?

no they probably just make a real symetrical picture.. don't they take good pictures? LMAO

hey guys, I got one of these beasts now, impressed to say the least, so I haven't fired it yet (a weeks wait damn it) but I want to know if they have pads for the underfolders?

Actually, Check this out

Edited by MAKAK47

Hell yeah. The para cord thing looks way cool. I think I'll do that myself.

One thing about these guns is that they are heavy enough that they don't kick much at all. I don't find the underfolder stock uncomfortable to shoot at all.

haha, it's kinda ghetto but it works I'm sure, now I just gotta pick up some "paracord" stuff