Sign in to follow this  
macshooter

Yugo AK at AIM

Look at these...

Anyone notice anything interesting about the recievers on these AKs? They appear to be RPK receivers as opposed to AKM. If they are what they appear to be, do you know what that means? Anyone??

It means you can get an underfolder AK for $429 that has the same reciever as a VEPR.

(I just got off the phone with AIM, I asked them if it had an RPK receiver, and after checking with someone, he said no. Then I asked if the reciever had a bulge in it right below the bolt, and he said yes. That indicates that it has the larger forward trunnion like an RPK. Franky I'm not very confident that the person I spoke with would know an RPK reciever if you dropped one on his head, but that is not enough to stop me from buying one of these... They are out right now, but should have more in a few weeks.)

Edited by macshooter

of cource it is not a PPK recever, it is US made, and has a diffrent name on it, it may well be teh same spec's, but it is not a PPK.

I should have been more clear.

Yes, it is US made, however it appears to be a US made copy of an RPK reciever. (or for some unknown reason, they put a large trunnion in an AKM reciever, which is not very likely.)

Look. You see the bulge below the bolt on both guns? Normal AKs (AKM's) don't have that. RPK's do though. It's there so that a larger forward trunnion could be used, which would hold better up under full auto fire 100% of the time.

veprksmall3mn.jpg

akm70ab2black8ud.jpg

Edited by macshooter

Probably not Em. I've kinda been in a serious frame of mind this morning because I had a job interview over the phone about an hour ago... Anyway it forced me to get some pictures up so people know what the hell I'm talking about.

This looks like a steal for folks that like VEPR's, but don't like the stock. Also, VEPR's are getting very hard to come by these days, and the way things look, AK's might be next before too long.

This looks like the configuration that all the new Yugo underfolders are coming in. Classicarms has them for $439.

I honestly like the old ones better with the wood furniture. I don't recall what the receivers looked like though.

I don't quite see how a wider front trunnion would make it any stronger. The rivets are what holds it together and would break long before the solid trunnion would, I'd assume.

That being said, I suppose having the 3 front rivets in a spaced out triangle might hold up better than the standard two on top and one on the bottom.

I thought the actual receiver was thinker on the Veprs, not just the front trunnion?

For actual shooting I really prefer the Romanian side folders, but the underfolders certainly look cooler. Not the best shooters, but I'd certainly like to have one.

Ok, yeah, it looks like all the Yugo AKs have been like this (as far as the trunnion).

Here's a pic of one with the front of the receiver still intact:

akptrb8sk.jpg

I guess a little more trunnion might be stronger. But I still don't see how it's indicative of a better receiver.

Edited by Tube

Here's a photo of the three types of AK receivers. The sheet metal on the RPK reciever is much thicker than the original AK or the AKM. It was designed to withstand full auto fire as a light machinegun platform. That's what you get in a VEPR, and that's why they are so much heavier than the standard AK. I don't know much about these Yugos, but it seems that they are similar to the RPK receiver, and a bit beefier than the standard AKM receiver.

ak_receiver_comparison.jpg

How'd the phone interview go?

Jared

I think it went pretty well. Now is the most agonizing part of finding new job. It starts about 30 mins before the interview, and you feel the tension rising and you start to skwirm around waiting for the phone call, and just wanting it to be over. Then you answer the phone and field the questions as best as you can... then you agonize over what you could have said better, and what you left out, your tone of voice, and every little thing that you think you could have done better. Then after about a week or two, they either offer you a job, or allow you to keep skwirming until you get a letter months later thanking you for you interest in the company, and stating that they have decided to hire someone else, yet encourage you to to keep applying for other jobs as the become available and all that crap.

And I have another interview tommorrow at 10:30.... (Ugg...)

Edited by macshooter

do real RPK receivers have the dimple wells too like the Yugo's and unlike the VEPRs?

The VEPRs don't have magwell dimples, they have plates behind the receiver to keep the mags in place. The mags don't wobble around in VEPR recievers or anything like that... But, that's a good question, and I asked the guy at AIM about the dimples, but he didn't have a Yugo handy to answer it, and he seemed kinda perturbed at me for asking him a bunch of technical sh!t about a friggin Yugo... :D:

Edited by macshooter

For actual shooting I really prefer the Romanian side folders, but the underfolders certainly look cooler. Not the best shooters, but I'd certainly like to have one.

I have one of these underfolders (as pictured above.. black plastic furniture.. yugo M70AB), but I haven't gotten to take it to the range yet. I am curious why you said they aren't the best shooters? No anger... just curious about your opinion.

One of the reasons I bought this one is that the quality of the parts.. receiver.. and the build in general appears to be vastly superior to my SAR-1... and that rifle was better than the WASR. The VEPR underfolders in my area were up into the $700 realm or higher, so I got this one for $459 out the door & thought I did well.

While its not a VEPR or Arsenal.. the quality in the fit & finish is leagues ahead of the Romanian AK's I own, or have handled.

Let me know your thoughts on this Tube... so I know what to look for when shooting it this spring.

I just miked the sheet metal in the magwell area on my Yugo M70AB underfolder, and its approx 1.72- to 1.75mm in thickness (approx 14 guage).

The VEPRs don't have magwell dimples, they have plates behind the receiver to keep the mags in place. The mags don't wobble around in VEPR recievers or anything like that... But, that's a good question, and I asked the guy at AIM about the dimples, but he didn't have a Yugo handy to answer it, and he seemed kinda perturbed at me for asking him a bunch of technical sh!t about a friggin Yugo... :D:

My yugo has the dimples.

If I had to recommend one, for the money they're asking the Yugo's are a steal...

I have one of these underfolders (as pictured above.. black plastic furniture.. yugo M70AB), but I haven't gotten to take it to the range yet. I am curious why you said they aren't the best shooters? No anger... just curious about your opinion.

No problem, I wasn't very clear. I've never shot one of those Yugo's so I can't comment one way or another. I was just talking about the under folder stocks in general. They look great, but the cheek weld is less than fantastic, especially on a cold day.

By "not the best shooter" I just meant I'd rather spend the day at the range with a standard stock than an underfolder. They're just more comfortable.

The side folding Romanian stock isn't nearly as good as a standard one in the cheek weld department either, but I personally find it more comfortable than the underfolder. The bar is in the center and completely rounded off, so you don't feel a rough edge.

As for the Yugo receiver, I just assumed they were standard thickness with trunnion bulges. Mainly because dealers always make a point to advertise any "special feature" to justify their prices, and I haven't seen anything about special Yugo receivers. I even read an article on them a while back that didn't mention the difference.

I haven't measured them, so I could certainly be 100% wrong, I'm just trying to explain the reasoning behind my assumption.

Either way, I agree that the Yugos are a steal at the price. I was actually dead set on getting one until I started my build.

The last gun show I went to a dealer had a table full of them, and they were asking $679!!!!

Edited by Tube

I am curious why you said they aren't the best shooters? No anger... just curious about your opinion.

Not to answer for Tube or anything, but just to take a guess, I bet the solid one piece butt stock on a side folder would be a little more comfortable on the shoulder than a U shaped shoulder piece on an underfolder. That probably makes the underfolder a bit more difficult to shoot well.

Yugo AKs, like Yugo SKSs, have overbuilt receivers to compensate for the lack of a chrome-plated chamber. Yugoslavia does this due to a lack of natural chromium deposits in their country.

I just miked the sheet metal in the magwell area on my Yugo M70AB underfolder, and its approx 1.72- to 1.75mm in thickness (approx 14 guage).

I just miked the sheet metal on the VEPR reciever. I got about 1.70mm - just a tad thinner than the Yugo. Time to buy an AK.

Edited by macshooter

You're absolutely right Tube & Macho... the underfolder stock doesn't feel that great on the face. I actually bought mine to use as an AK pistol... as in my state, I had to register it as a handgun due to length. I have a SAR-1 which is much more comfortable to shoot... although I'll have to try out the underfolder at rifle ranges.. maybe wrap a hand towel around the stock for the days shooting.

It was an issue of "cool.. I've always wanted one of those!!" than anything else. Just something cool about the lines & look of an underfolder.

Edited!!!

I wrote earlier that the measurement changed when I remiked it while disassembled. I'm an idiot.. my mike wasn't zero'd out. I jsut remeasuered the receiver with the mike zero'd.. and the frame rails & receiver thickness was in the 1.72-1.76 realm. Definitly worth the extra funds.

$679 sounds really high.. like VECTOR underfolder high... here in Michigan, my local gunshop "Williams" has a brand new one on the shelf (they did yesterday) for $459

Edited by BrowningBDA

anybody know where to get cheek pads for SIDE folders by the way? I know this would be impossible on underfolders, but it would be sweet

Oh yeeeah. :c)l:

yugom70ab2an8.jpg

These Yugos are awesome. I picked up a pair today. The are built like a tank. These things are 2X more HEAVY DUTY than any SAR, WASR, or MAK 90 type AK. These have RPK recievers. Same as the VEPR. Everything on them is rock solid. Top cover locks in place with an EXTRA sping loaded pin. The bolt appears to be stainless. The finish is like parkerized or something. More durable than the VEPRs finish, but not as nice. Overall I'd say these are twice a nice as any other AK's out there right now, and maybe 70% of what the VEPR is in terms of fit and finish. The stock is probably the least heavy duty thing on these guns, and it's nothing I would feel the need to be gentle with, but I think I could probably twist it and bend it out of shape if I really tried hard. Not as rock solid as a side folder, but not weak by any means, and not half as ugly. Everything else is 100% "battle ready." These guns look and feel like a heavy duty tool. I do miss the spring loaded firing pin in the VEPR, but if I did have a slam fire with one of these, I think it would just put a smile on my face... :uzi:

If you ever wanted a folding stock VEPR, you should probably get one of these while they are still around. There are no other RPK based AKs out there right now, and there probably won't be any after these are gone. I don't know how well they shoot, but I will find out soon enough. One thing is for sure, I don't think anyone who buys these will lose any money on them should they decide to sell it later!

this is going to be a stupid question, why 2? I KNOW YOU CAN NEVER HAVE ENOUGH!!! But is it because they are just that sweet or is it fear of an assault ban?

Those are the only two reasonably priced ones with in a 100 miles of Austin (I called everyone) so I snatched them up. I only ended paying $50 more than it would have cost me to get them from AIM or Classic arms after tranfer fees and shipping, and I was in and out of the store in 20 mins. Also I'm moving to west Texas for a while, and out there dealers want $580 to $640 for them! I called all over west Texas and southern New Mexico today - ALL OVER, and no one is willing to do transfers out there, except one guy - and he wanted 40% OF THE PRICE!!!! that's almost $700 for this gun. The gun dealers out there all f*cking crazy. They don't do tranfers, they insist you buy from them, and pay outragous prices for everything. I'll be damned if I'll give them any of my business. I can't find a decent FFL within 300 miles out there, so for me it was now or never if I wanted another AK. One of them is for keeps, the other is to sale later on after they dry up.

This is going to be it for me as far as gun buying goes for several years probably. And yes, I think with the Democrats in power, it's only a matter of time before they start pushing anti assault weapon bills, and AKs are going to right on the top list of things to be banned. And they will probably try to go much further this time, since the last set off laws didn't do anything but make MAK 90's and Polytechs worth $1500-$2000+. :rolleyes:

If you are in the market for an AK, I think you would be wise to buy one at a good price fairly soon. All the VEPRs are gone now, and prices for them are skyrocketing. This is the only AK out there even somewhat comparable to the VEPR, and I really have no interest in any of the Romanian AKs at all. I could have bought a VEPR for $460 directly from Robarms about 2 years ago, but I didn't because I already had one and I figured they would still be around later. But now they are gone, and I wish like hell I had bought another one when I could. I try not to make the same mistake twice.

Edited by macshooter

There are no other RPK based AKs out there right now
SAIGA

no one is willing to do transfers out there,

using the 78701 zip code i found these transfer dealers.

from gunbroker.com

Gary B. Gerding, 2.1 miles

Liberty Firearms

Austin, TX 78704

phone: 512-377-9384

cellular: 512-496-7430

Hours: 9:00am-6:00pm Mon-Fri

Transfer fee: $35.00 per gun, $25.00 for TX CHP holders

Hank Fleming 5.5 miles

Hank Fleming, Gunsmith http://www.hankgun.com/

4722 S Congress Ave

Austin, TX 78745

phone: 512-445-6339

Hours: 9:30am-6:00pm Tues-Fri, 9:30am-4:00pm Sat

Transfer fee: $40.00 per transfer

Josh Nemec 5.5 miles

National Pawn & Jewelry

111 W. William Cannon

Suite 101

Austin, TX 78745

phone: 512-447-9327

fax: 512-447-7289

Hours: 8:00am-5:00pm Mon-Fri

Transfer fee: 10% or $25.00, whichever is greater

Karen S. Ziegler 6.3 miles

Red's Indoor Range http://www.redsguns.com/

6210 Highway 290 West

Austin, TX 78735

phone: 512-892-4867

fax: 512-892-9487

Hours: 9:00am - 9:00pm Daily

Transfer fee: $35.00

from auction arms

78610 Eddie Ellison ,Ellison Construction Company, 512 295 3644, Buda TX $20.00 FFL Transfer & Gunsmith 14.42 Miles

78612 David Wolbrueck, River City Armory,512-303-4424, Cedar Creek TX $10.00 FFL Transfer 19.06 Miles http://www.rivercityarmory.com/

most auction sights havd somewhere to help find FFL's in your area.