Sign in to follow this  
SeanMiller

Tech Report: Grendel P30

Question

Tech Report: Grendel P30

So, after swearing off buying a gun till the Garand that I put up on consignment (that was sickly and didnt cycle right), I waited about half a day and bid on this little baby on Gunbroker.

gallery_4169_96_1036923.jpg

My initial impression on picking up this gun was "Damnit!!! I just wasted $400!" It look and feels clunky, and there's just no way around that. But, on further inspection, its got alot of neat features beyond the 30 round magazine (which is still really cool!). For instance, the saftey is both a trigger disconnect and a firing pin block, its got one of the easiest takedowns of a semi-auto Ive ever seen, and the chamber is fluted.

gallery_4169_96_112428.jpg

That arm at the back of the slide is the firing pin block, and the shroud is a piece of plastic that is also the rear sight. Its held on by two allen screws, one of which holds the firing pin in.

gallery_4169_96_90154.jpg

Heres a top down view of the gun. It feeds like a doublestack rifle, and has two feed ramps too. You can see the hammer in the back, which is huge. You cant tell with the mag in, but if you release the hammer with the gun dissasembled, it will rotate 270 deg (instead of the 90 it would to strike the firing pin), and be down in the magwell...trust me, its a bitch to get out if that happens. Its also single action (i.e. theres no takeup and the trigger is friggin light), so this has happend to me more than once.

The coolest thing about this gun is still the 30 round mags. The way that they stack the rounds is, again, unique as far as Ive seen.

gallery_4169_96_373838.jpg

starting the third round, notice that the first round is moving to one side

gallery_4169_96_721812.jpg

That rail in the center of the mag separates the round as you feed them, alternating which side rounds go to. In a way its like having two single stack mags right next to each other. In a word, its brilliant.

For size comparison, heres the Grendel with my 5" 1911

gallery_4169_96_606102.jpg

gallery_4169_96_554512.jpg

Like I said, its bulky to the point of awkward (think a grip as fat as a Beretta, but longer). The most annoying thing Ive found is that the ambidextrous safety is easy to bump up so that it engages the firing pin block. Since you cant restrike it, you gotta manually cycle the slide. I found that by holding the safety down with my thumb, I dont have that problem. Its actually more comfortable to hold this way.

gallery_4169_96_838070.jpg

Disassembly is accomplished by unscrewing the cap on the end of the slide and taking out the recoil spring. Then the lower shroud comes off, and the slide is taken off. Done. No fancy buttons or pins to push in.

All in all, its a fun little gun. Its really too bad what happened to it with the ban. I mean, who doesn't want a 30 round pistol that shoots .22WMR? Its alot of firepower in a (relatively) small package!!

gallery_4169_96_1343762.jpg

Ill try and do a range report later with shooting pics. I took it shooting with grayfox today, and he can attest that its as accurate as you can want, and that the recoil is almost nothing, about the same as a 22lr. I had one stovepipe, but other than that, no malfunctions at all (not counting the 4-5 times I bumped the saftey on...).

Man, I hope that Garand sells soon, my credit card is bleeding...

• Like 1

22 answers to this question

Good report, Sean. I was pining after one of those a couple months back, but I never followed through.

What ranges did you test it at?

Jared

That Grendel was a blast to shoot...I didn't think the grip was bad at all. The muzzle blast will rock you in the next lane...

But with 30rds, you can shoot till you get tired..very accurate pistol.

Thanks to Sean for letting me shoot it. When my lil Bauer grows up, I hope it turns into a Grendal nod.gif

Great catch bro.

I think the 22 WMR is the perfect woodsman cartridge. It's also great for plinking.

A 30 round mag should be a whole lot of fun.

I've always wanted one of those and one of the Grendel carbines. Man thoses are nice guns. Damn the AWB it ruined all the fun.

Hey Sean, I did some checking around, and it seems that the p30 is very ammo specific in terms of reliability.

Supposedly soft lead tip rounds, as the ones pictures, don't feed reliably. The best are supposed to be full copper jacketed winchester hollowpoints.

Just letting you know.

Those are the rounds that functioned 100% in my little baby. I heard that too, but for me it wasnt exactly true.

And FMJ, all I have to say is I WANT!!!! Now I know where the idea of the MP7 came from....

Oh hush!

I coulda got a really tricked out SKS for $400 instead if you prefer...

Oh hush!

I coulda got a really tricked out SKS for $400 instead if you prefer...

There is something about the term "tricked out SKS" that just makes me smile a bit. Its not that you cant do it or shouldnt do it...one doesnt need a reason...but still *grin*

Its kind of like putting a folding stock and flash supressor with bayonet lug on a Ruger 10/22.

I think a 30 round, 22 MAG pistol is a neat idea though.

Edited by ChemSoldier

centerfire systems had drum mags for pistoles, 40 rounds of .45APC would be heavy.

The grendel can be made to work properly with the right modifacations.Like the firing pins keep breaking. They make one made all in one piece instead of being soldered together. There will be new mags for them not to far in the future. So Hang in there.

I actually never had but the one malfunction with the gun. I was very happy with it...

Was...

See, since then I got engaged and sold all my guns but one. I then became a cop and bought some (well...most actually) of my guns back. Alas a Grendel is not to be in my collection any time soon, or ever likely. $500+ is just too steep for what you get. Id rather save the extra $400 and get a 5.7 (which I just might do, come summer and a real job).

You cant tell me that Grendel is not related to Kel-Tec in some way. For instance, check out the stock on this Grendel Sniper rifle:

Gunbroker Link

pix1204836187.jpg

Bolt action .308 SU-16 anyone?

You cant tell me that Grendel is not related to Kel-Tec in some way

sure i can, watch.

Grendel is not related to Kel-Tec in any way.

altho they apper to be.

Directed by owner and chief engineer George Kelgren, Kel-Tec breaks new ground in several areas with their latest efforts. Keigren is a Swedish immigrant who also designed the Grendel .380 pocket pistol and Tec-9 semi-auto, plus a number of Husqvarna firearms in his native country.

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0BQY/is_2001_Annual/ai_63922917/

It would certainly appear that he likes to name firearms/companies after himself. Kel-Gren.....

Jared

New to this site, I think this is going to the Grendel P30 discussion? anyway I've had one of these since I first saw one 20-30 years ago? bought it new fired it maybe twice at the range, you guys that want one of these should have been around on one of those days...I might have just gave it to you...ha. It did shoot straight and did not fail to function (I guess I had the right ammo) but if you are able to shoot all 30 rounds non stop your a better Man than me, the trigger pull is a very long hard pull feels like 20lbs..ha.