6 replies to this topic

#1 SsloBurn

SsloBurn

Lurker

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 06 May 2005 - 12:22 AM

ballistics comparison 45acp vs 45 colt?

I've heard conflicting info on these 2 cartridges. Most say that the ACP inflicts more damage. However, it seems up in the air which is more accurate--some say the LC and some say the ACP.
I can tell you one thing for sure though; I dont have a f()cking clue

#2 mtnboomer Re: Ballistics Comparison: 45LC vs. 45 ACP

mtnboomer

"Never get out of the boat."

• Members
  • 796 posts

Posted 06 May 2005 - 02:57 AM

Well this is one of those questions that will have as many "answers" as it will replies. Ballisticaly the .45 acp and the .45 Colt (standard loading) are nearly identical. The .45 Colt edges the .45 acp by less than 100 fps in most cases. As for accuracy, that depends as much on the gun and shooter as it does the cartridge - pretty much a toss-up IMHO. As to the subject of tissue destruction, that too will depend on the charge loading and bullet type used - not on the cartridge type as BOTH are celebrated manstoppers. So that pretty much leads us right back to where we started. They both have their place, they both have their purpose - pick the one you like and go with it, they won't let you down. :dh:

#3 eldon519 Re: Ballistics Comparison: 45LC vs. 45 ACP

eldon519

RKI#5

• Veteran Member
  • 2,767 posts

Posted 06 May 2005 - 04:09 AM

Like mtnboomer said, from factory loads they aren't so different. You'll probably have better stopping power with the .45 ACP just because so many premium manufacturers offer excellent defensive loads for it. However, if you are into reloading your own ammunition and happen to own a weapon strong enough to handle modern .45 LC loadings(ie. Ruger, Freedom Arms, Thompson Center) then the .45 LC can easily rival and in some measures surpass the venerable .44 magnum.

#4 warlock Re: Ballistics Comparison: 45LC vs. 45 ACP

warlock

Never Had A Date -- With a Girl

• Veteran Member
  • 6,505 posts

Posted 06 May 2005 - 11:31 AM

The 45 LC and the 45 acp might be ballistically comparible...but not practically. The cartridge length of the LC has kept it and will continue to keep it from being chambered in any semiauto. Not only this...but you get the same amount of power in a tighter, more compact package with the 45 acp or new 45 gap. Hot loaded of course...the 45 LC is able to wistand FAR higher pressures...not just because of the cartridge...but also due to the strength of many such revolvers chambered in this caliber...IE ruger.

45 LC and 44 mag handloads are virtually identical. Factory 44 mag will easily outperform factory 45 LC, and obviously if you hotload the 45 LC...it will outperform the factory 44 mag.

I prefer the 44 mag. Instead of handloading...I prefer to purchase hotload specialty ammo...such as garrett rounds or BB...their 44 mags are loaded hotter than the 45 LC.

Edited by warlock, 06 May 2005 - 11:34 AM.

#5 marswolf Re: Ballistics Comparison: 45LC vs. 45 ACP

marswolf

Rest in Peace

• Members
  • 10,534 posts

Posted 06 May 2005 - 08:26 PM

Yep, the .45 Colt has a little more punch than the .45 ACP, but is a bit less accurate at the same time. The .44 Magnum beats the Colt in power and accuracy, but has significantly more recoil.

If I want a big bullet, the .44 Mag is a good choice. The .45 Colt is fine, but more nostalgic than practical IMHO. Which is not to say that I dislike it. If I need a round for an automatic, I want something more accurate than a .45 ACP. But we've been down that road in a dozen topics.

#6 SsloBurn Re: Ballistics Comparison: 45LC vs. 45 ACP

SsloBurn

Lurker

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 07 May 2005 - 11:48 AM

Once again, I have to sincerely thank you all for your input. Your responses have helped greatly to clarify the conflicting reports that I've read. You guys really know your stuff.

and Marswolf: Thoreau is an incredible writer

"Rather than love, than money, than fame, give me truth"

#7 warlock Re: Ballistics Comparison: 45LC vs. 45 ACP

warlock

Never Had A Date -- With a Girl

• Veteran Member
  • 6,505 posts

Posted 07 May 2005 - 04:37 PM

Or....

"Give me money...and I'll buy the rest."

:c)l:

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: 45lc, 45 acp, ballistics